MINI Cooper Forum banner

Help needed

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new to the mini , I have a 56 plate cooper and I have a gear problem !!!! My car goes into gears and stays in gear no problem but the problem I have is when I put the clutch in and going from second to third or fith to fourth I need to give it a slight push instead of it natural finding its home position in between third and fourth any idea what it could be and how to fix it ?

#7 ·
The gearbox is fine and the cable retainer spring has been replaced as the previous one was mashed up and all ball joints on that side of the box were lubricated up so to me that only leaves the actual gear selector box. I have a 2004 Cooper S on the drive which I'm preparing for sale at the moment and the feel of the box is almost similar to yours. The solution would be to replace it

#9 ·
Unfortunately Mini's of this model are known to have gearbox issues/failures; if you bought the car second hand it also depends a lot on how the previous owner treated the car! I'm no mechanic, but it sounds very much as if your gearbox is on the way out. You might be able to pick up a decent salvaged/reconditioned one and save on cost that way. A friend for theirs from a company called Mintech spares, and I have used them for other parts too. I've found them to be very reliable and quick, and very helpful on the telephone too - might be worth your while having a chat with them if you need a replacement? Website is minispares.co.uk. Good luck and I hope it is something less costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.