MINI Cooper Forum banner

what is the difference between traditional key and key fobs with start/stop button

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Valvashon 
#1 ·
been looking at purchasing a 05-06 mini cooper s and i have noticed that some mini coopers in general have a traditional key with teeth and some have a fob which is inserted into the dash with start/stop button

just wondering what the difference is and if either have issues

thanks in advance
=)

#2 ·
The fobs came with generation 2 upwards. They still have a physical key to open the car but you need to insert the fob to start it. I'm not aware of any issues with the fob but if you have 2 I'd recommend rotating them on a regular basis to keep the batteries charged :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I'm here in the U.S. so I don't do the "plate" type of car identification, so I will do the model year and key type for proper identification.

2001-2004, two button clamshell key- user replaceable CR2032 battery. Lasts 5-7 years or longer.

2005-2006 and convertibles through 2008, three button flat keys- sealed key with a supposedly non-replaceable, soldered in rechargeable battery that is charged inductively when the key is in the ignition. Keys, if you have more than one, should be rotated every couple of months if they otherwise not used regularly. These batteries can be replaced by a skilled technician in key repair. If opened incorrectly, the circuit boards can be damaged by knocking components off, etc.

2008- 2013(?), hockey puck shaped key- there are two types. With comfort access they have a user replaceable CR2032 battery as the key does not need to be put in the slot for the car to start. Without comfort access they have a supposedly non replaceable, soldered in rechargeable battery that is charged inductively when the key is in the slot. Battery replacement and key rotation cautions are the same as for the three button flat keys.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Bruce Hart
MINI Key Hospital

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.