MINI Cooper Forum banner

New member confused !

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  MiniAlf486 
#1 ·
HELP.. can someone please put all this in one place as I have spent the morning reading threads and now don't know serious one from two, r50 something, which engine has what faults, water pump, chains failing, guide failings help.
I am looking for a convertible would be my 1st choice I think , looks like post 09 petrol? as a diesel is to expensive as this is our second car, and the generation 2 engine is not as good as the 1st engines is this right?.

Now if I went for a clubman I can get a lot for little money, so could move to a possible 09/10 plate again petrol or might just sneak in a diesel. so my question is 2008 to 59 plate is it petrol or diesel ? or 09/11 plate which is the more reliable engine to go for as it will always have to be garaged for repairs.

I understand every body has there own thoughts on the above but do I stretch the budget and go 10/11 petrol or diesel, or save some pounds go for a 59 plate and stick with petrol, this car will have runs to mid wales about once a month, thanks for any info.

#2 ·
Any generation 1 petrol is fine, any generation 2 diesel is fine as the Clubman diesel has the PSA engine which is the Peugeot hdi unit and a bloody good engine in my opinion (I have 2!) And I have ran other hdi's for years without any major problems.

Generation 2 petrols are the problem children due to their weak N14 engines and I'd avoid these (2006 -2010) unless you like paying garages lots of money!

Don't be put off by high mileage diesels if you go down this route, just make sure it's had regular oil changes. I picked up a 58 plate clubby with 127k on the clock for buttons simply because of the mileage. My other clubby has just turned 45k and my now 130k one drives much better than the lower mileage one!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I'm not aware of any problems with the Clubman but it's like any other car. If you maintain it then it will look after you and if you neglect it then it will let you down!

All my cars are highly maintained by myself and the only failure I've had with the wifes Clubman recently was a split intercooler intake hose which 2 main dealers, one being bmw failed to pick up on and had to repair it myself.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.