MINI Cooper Forum banner

MCS Instrument Panel Lights, Speedo, Rev Counter Fuel, Indicators not working

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  voyager7 
#1 ·
Hi, got a bit of a problem with my 2009 Cooper S Convertible. I tried to read the yellow engine fault (as there was intermittently no power to the engine when I put my foot down and the engine fan kept coming on as soon as I start the car) using OBD II port (which I have done using the same portable reader several times before) but the reader refused to connect. When I unplugged it, the speedo, rev counter , indicator lights , rev counter lcd, indicator clicker and dashboard lights no longer switch on. The car works fine, but cannot see anything like milage, fuel level etc. The radio works fine and displays all info. Any ideas what could be wrong? Could the ODB reader have done something or was it a coincidence? All the fuses seem to be fine. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Try pulling the battery off as this might reset the electrics and see how that goes

Thanks for the tip, unbolted the battery terminals for 1 hour, reconnected, still nothing on the instrument cluster :( any further ideas? It points to no power getting to something; the fact that the speedo and rev counter illumination and the indicator "tick tock" noise not working, but no fuses seem to be blown.... Thanks again

#5 ·
What condition is the battery in?

Seems to be fine, the car starts with no hesitation, all the lights are bright, the stereo works fine. I did have the yellow battery indicator come on a few weeks ago when the fan didn't want to stop running for like 20 mins but nothing else to suggest it's on the way out... Do you think charging the battery overnight make a difference or do you think it could be solved by a new battery?

Thanks again!

#8 ·
It might do buddy. I know my battery in the R50 is needing changed as its still on its original (2004) and every now and again when its low the doors lock as soon as I start the engine rather than lock when it starts driving but that car is just a spare and sits in the garage with the battery usually on trickle charge

#9 ·
For the hatch after 12/2008 there is a single fuse for tacho/speedo and OBD. The convertible is probably the same. The fuse is F29. On mine it wasn't the fuse but a loose connection to the fuse so pushing and shoving the OBD conector may have loosened a wire or the fuse went.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.