MINI Cooper Forum banner

Dealer sold car to me as spares and repairs on invoice

9K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  k3fus 
#1 ·
Hi all so I just noticed today on my invoice the car was sold to me as a spares and repairs.

The car itself was advertised for like 3k as a normal fully working car. Drove away MOT TAXED AND INSURANCE by the dealer.

I know a fair bit about cars mechanically and went in clued up with the common things to look for in R53 mini's. It was all in check.

I'm the second owner from new 65k FSH and the test drive was well.

I discovered issues with the passenger window, tyre and expansion tank. Using this as an excuse got the price down to £2750 and walked away without a warranty.

I've never bought a car warranty in my life.

I bought the car as a weekend toy to play with in my only day off some will know it's already in several pieces loool.

So my question is why did the guy write sold as spares and repairs on the invoice.

I'm guessing it's to stiff me if something happens right?

Can I have some opinions..

Don't bash me too hard I know my question it quite clear with what happened.

And sorry if wrong section. Still getting used to this forum.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Because you expressly didn't want a warranty, I would guess this was to keep him in the clear as I think dealers have to give a minimum 3 month warranty with a used car sale. As Sean says, it's a effectively a trade sale, no warranty. A few years back, I bought an old, cheap, Range Rover as a trade sale, the invoice stated that the sale was for the glass and the wheels, not the car, and that was made clear to me before I bought it. Car was taxed and tested, I drove it home and used it for the next year without any issues. The majority of used car warranties are actually mechanical breakdown insurance and the list of what's not covered is longer than the list of what is!

#4 ·
Loool that's exactly why I don't bother with warranties you really have to sit down and read everything before you take the plunge.

So no no no to warranties..

I'm the second owner from brand new with only 65k and the service book has a nice amount of stamps..

All the fluids were looking fairly fresh and I'm renewing these ANYWAY as part of my toying around.

No leaks which was like a unicorn because out the other 4 mini's I've seen and the 10 I did MOT searches on were notorious for leaks.

The day I came home with the car it was packed into my drive and I began stripping.

So I haven't really driven it.

Hopefully all goes well loool..

Just does make me think how dodgy that is with dealers doing that.

I think it's a buyers market now though. I probably still have ground to hold if something did happen or not.

#6 ·
@anish1993, you stated that you didn't want any warranty with the car and you have confirmed that you "never bother with them" so this is a trade sale, plain and simple. How does this make the dealer/ seller dodgy?

All you have done is try to save a bit of money by refusing to take the dealers "guarantee" and fair play to you but this in no way implies that the dealer is being dodgy by stating that the vehicle being sold is for spares and repairs. The dealer is making it very clear that there is NO WARRANTY or GUARANTEE with the vehicle that you bought as this was your choice. How you interoperate his wording is entirely up to you!

#7 ·
Someone mentioned that all dealers are supposed to give away what sounded like a mandatory 3 months warranty.

So I just thought it seemed odd for them to not include this for free just because I lowered the price by what £200 and it wasn't..

Never mind though

I didn't intend on creating a reaction.

Can this thread be deleted?

#8 ·
I discovered issues with the passenger window, tyre and expansion tank. Using this as an excuse got the price down to £2750 and walked away without a warranty....

....Someone mentioned that all dealers are supposed to give away what sounded like a mandatory 3 months warranty.

So I just thought it seemed odd for them to not include this for free just because I lowered the price by what £200 and it wasn't..

Never mind though

I didn't intend on creating a reaction.

Can this thread be deleted?
Delete the thread because people point out the obvious?

Come on, you bought the car as seen with discount for identified issues, then you try to claim the dealer is fiddling you out of an implied warranty?

Your own words suggest you're trying it on with them, not them you.

#13 ·
They may well profit.....but it depends on how much profit they look to make on each car. They'll buy them in as cheap as they can, but if they've got premises, etc., costs of preparation, insurance, etc. will all need to come out of what they make on each car. So there will be a bottom line figure they won't go below when they're selling the car. (I work for a non-motor trade retail business, we look to make 22% margin on everything we sell, our bottom line, 'shouldn't go below', percentage is 17%. Our sales staff have to have a damn good excuse if they sell for less than 17%!)

#15 ·
I'm actually the opposite nowhere near tight but I'm not stupid.

Tbh you say you don't want to offend but make big assumptions based on what..

I can't see where I've wanted something for nothing. [emoji53]

All I wanted to know was why was it sold to me as spares and repairs and I know now.

Is this how most threads go on this forum.. You ask one question and just get several inputs with people making vast assumptions based on nothing.

Can people just not comment anymore.. Lock this thread.

#18 ·
People on here ARE friendly and HELPFUL buddy and if you read the forum then you will see this. Sorry if we haven't met your expectations on this occasion but we can't all agree on everything and your introduction was a bit of a tornado to say the least!

If I were you I'd dust yourself down and concentrate on your car and leave the dealer in peace as you got exactly what you asked for from them so there's no point moaning about how the sales invoice has been worded as its just a "sales invoice" based on your instructions and "your" terms of sale. I buy cars from time to time as "trade sales" and have dug out an old invoice to show you its not uncommon in the motor trade

Attachments

#21 ·
I accept you're not trying to take the car back and you've got your answer, but there's many people who think they can take a second hand car back with rights that make the dealer fix unforeseen problems. Put simply, not taking responsibility for thier own actions or lack of.

Guess dealers have to protect themselves if a buyer says they don't want any warranty, in your case that's what they have done, again inline with your wishes.

Hope you enjoy your Mini with no need for a warranty.

It's better to inspect the car properly than rely on any warranty.

#22 ·
I'm not lol. Obviously anish1993 needs to learn how to negotiate better with dealers when buying cars rather than try to get the absolute bargain only to discover he's effectively entered into a trade sale. He must have signed the invoice so this would have been his opportunity to walk away if he wasn't happy to be sold a car listed as "spares or repairs"

My latest purchase was from a dealer (not a MINI one) but the asking price was fairly reasonable and there was room for negotiation. Instead of asking for £500 off, I instead managed to get the dealer to do a respray on the bonnet and a couple of other bits to the car as well as a fresh MOT. I walked away with a warranty and paid his asking price and saved myself the hassle of putting the things right that I wasn't happy with when I viewed the car.

#23 ·
I was tired that day.. Went to go see the car after a 9-5 shift. Just wanted to go home loool.

I'm surprised I missed it in the invoice maybe my ignorance or it was written after I signed but it's irrelevant now. Never did I complain in any of my posts or say I was gonna go back to the dealer loool..

I think people should read properly before commenting.

Initially I thought for them to get shot of the car as spares/repairs made me think maybe there was a big problem I didn't know about that they did. So they wrote it in the invoice so I couldn't come back.

That's why I created the thread because I didn't know that it was protocol when you don't buy warranty that it's sold as spares/repairs.

Tbh if that were the case surely buyers should have some obligation to get in touch with trading standards though?

Is it to say that just because I didn't buy the dealers warranty, the dealers are therefore allowed to sell cars with big problems.

Obviously this isn't the case but I'm just saying for discussion sake.

In regards to Sean's post.. I know my fair share with negotiation. I did initially offer £2500. These dealers are just stubborn they never have it loool.. So we met at the middle. I'm happy with the price I got it for. I'm the second owner from new with FSH everything in check.

#24 ·
Treat the car as a private sale now, give it a good inspection and make any necessary repairs yourself as there will be repairs needing done if your maintenance focused. Also give it a full service which I'm sure you did say you were going to do anyway, use a genuine BMW oil filter for the oil ;) and quality 5w30 fully synthetic oil and change the gearbox oil while your at it with MTF94

If these cars are maintained then they are pretty much bullet proof!

#27 ·
I bought an R50 as a toy (without warranty lol) and it was in pretty good shape and to date I've spent over £1500 on it and I do all the work on the car myself so goodness knows what the cost would have been if there was garage labour added on to this :eeksurprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.