MINI Cooper Forum banner

Broken roof - small lady in big distress!!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scudder 
#1 ·
Would really appreciate some help on this one!!

Two problems with my car that I just can't afford to have a dealer fix right now unless it's a must, and have no idea on costs!!

1) my car went in for a battery change recently. I really didn't realise a battery change would cost over £200 but apparently as its a mini convertible 2009 with a stop/start engine, it required plugging into a computer and also an expensive battery type (I am adhering to the female stereotype of genuinely not having a clue and having to roll with that the mechanic said). They did that ok but since I've had it back, the plastic panel on the inside of my car that sits just above my head has a broken clip on the passenger side and is hanging down. Does anyone have any idea what this part is called?? It seems to be covering wires and electrics. Can I fix this myself and any idea on cost??

2) my boot has gone totally doolally. It opens and closes at random, but not when I actually ask it to by touching the sensor. It's absolutely full of water.

Very worried that both of these things are going to be expensive and I have to get rid of my little car??

Any help would be so appreciated right now, thank you!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Cut and pasting this from North American Motoring.com.
The problem comes from the release sensor in the boot lid becoming wet. Try searching for the rubber grommet they mention, should be near the wring in at base of boot lid, remove it and if water runs out you have found your problem. If you are lucky the sensor might dry out and be fine, if not, it is replacement job, ouch!

'Had the same problem. San Diego dealer claims service bulletin states this is a known manufacturing issue on certain convertible's trunk (boot) lids. The rubber grommet at the lower center base of the trunk (basically a drain plug) should have been discarded at assembly time however many were not removed causing this water accumulation (from rain/car washes) problem and subsequent deterioration of trunk release mechanism that's always wet.'

The plastic above you head is perhaps the cover for the sunroof motor and wiring. This is held on as you say by white plastic clips. Completely remove the cover, it simply pulls off. Have a good look at the roof where it clips in and you might find a clip still in it's holder when it should be attached to the plastic cover you took off. If so, pull it out and re-attach to the plastic cover, the white clip slides into place on the cover and usually has a piece of felt on it to prevent rattles. If the clip is missing, you can get a replacement from the dealers for a couple of pounds and replace your self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.