MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rear Speaker Cover

5K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  SteveM3 
#1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to remove the boomerang shaped rear speaker cover from a 2012 Cooper without taking the whole side panel off? I can get a lever under the cover, but I've excerpted about as much force as I dare without the cover possibly snapping off

#2 ·
Unfortunately the official answer is no, it's part of the panel. If you remove the panel and tackle it from the rear you might be able to remove it. I know it'll take a lot more skill than I possess. Why were you thinking of removing it? There may be a different solution available if we know that.

#4 ·
Rears are strait forward 6x9's, removing the trim is easy enough. If you have HK then the crossover is in the amp and if you have the official Alpine upgrade that has inline crossovers. For all other 2012 stereos full range audio signal is sent to all speakers.

#5 ·
I definitely don't have the HK setup. How can I tell if it's the Alpine upgrade?

I have only swapped the front component speakers over like for like, without changing the crossover units at this stage. I was going to start taking the dash apart next week to try and locate these.

I'm guessing that as the smaller Mini speaker is about 4" across it acts like a mid/tweeter, whereas the Alpine one I replaced it with is only about an inch across. I presumed therefore the crossover frequencies will be different between the two setups? I hoped so because with the Alpines installed it really didn't sound that much better

However, if you're saying the full range gets sent to all speakers then I should be able to simply run the tweeter off the bass via the crossover. That'll make life easier. This probably explains the poor sound quality as well ;-)

I have already run a much thicker cable from the right bass speaker and left it coiled up in the fuse box. I will run another cable from the left bass next week

#6 ·
DON'T play your stereo until you have made the following change. You are sending your Alpine tweeter full range and may damage it. Take the feed from the lower speaker and send that to your new Alpine crossover, I recommend installing the crossover inside the door pulls. Then take the midrange output of the crossover to your Alpine midrange and the tweeter output of the crossover and send that to your new tweeter. You won't have the official Alpine setup as that uses a tweeter in the A-pillars with a midrange and midbass speaker in the door and all the speakers and a-pillar trim are branded. Just changing the speakers and using the OEM to drive them will in my personal opinion be disappointing.

Reactions: danboy24
#7 · (Edited)
The problem is I didn't realise there were separate bass, mid and high range speakers in a Mini. Only seeing the two speakers in the door that's all I thought I had and so only bought two way component speakers

The guy in the shop initially thought it was a three way system, but when I showed him my car (with the door card off) he said it must only be two :-(

Where are the tweeters located?

I guess all I can do now is take a new full signal feed to the bass, run the tweeter off this (via the crossover) and disconnect the original tweeter?

Or can I buy new 3 way crossovers and separate Alpine mid range speakers (if such a thing even exists)?

#8 ·
There is no hidden tweeter, it is in the A-pillar if you have HK. The 4" speaker is what Mini think is a high range speaker. To keep it simple most people replace the 4" with a tweeter in a wood adapter and replace the 6" with a 5.25" or 6.5" midbase in a wood spacer.
I have done this and also bought HK a-pillars from Mini and put my own Focal tweeters in these. The difference in quality from the Focals tweeters being in the door was amazing. Lots more work though as you will need your own amp(s).

#9 ·
Thanks Steve

Glad it's just a two way system. That makes it much simpler

The Alpines I bought came with a small crossover unit which I was able to cable tie next to the bass speaker. I had a quick listen before I tackle the right speaker tomorrow, and the quality is much better

Do you recommend amplification next? Which model and location would you choose? Was thinking if there is room behind the dash it'd save running cables to the back of the car, though if the rear side panels are coming off to swap the rears.......

Attachments

#13 ·
My system slowly evolved over the years but started with an genesis amp driving component speakers thru a passive crossover at the front and a second soundstream amp driving two 6x9 subs replacing the rear speakers.

#14 ·
Nice. Was thinking about buying a single four channel amp myself. Really pleased with the way the Alpines I bought for the front sound already just running off the head unit. It's such an improvement

How do you remove the rear trim though? I removed the bottom part of the seats earlier and could prise the bottom off easily, but the top where the seat belt goes through didn't want to budge. Tried pulling it forward and pushing it up but nothing seemed to work.

Am I missing a trick?

#15 ·
I think there is a screw just above the side trim in the boot and I am sure there is a screw behind the b-pillar trim. Both b-pillar and c-pillar trim must be removed before the side panel.

Reactions: danboy24
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.