MINI Cooper Forum banner

Please help with VIN number / spec

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  brassd 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm off to go and look at an R53 cooper s and it's advertised as being a facelift... However, I think it's just a very late pre face lift with a very high spec. (It doesn't have the rear lights of a facelift)

Production for this car is 1st January 2004. So it's definitely before the June/ July facelift... however the car has the 3 spoke steering wheel etc (from factory). The VIN is WMWRE32040TC83394.

I have read the below:

VIN:
1)
WMW - Europe, Germany, BMW
RC3/RE3/RA3/RB1 - Make & Model (Mini Cooper/Mini Cooper S/Mini One/Mini Cooper D)
1/2/3 - Specification (UK/Euro/US)
4 - Restraint system (Dual Airbags) (????)
(0-9 or X) - Check Digit
3 - Year (2003)
T - Plant (Oxford, GB)
C/D/other letter - (5-speed/6-speed/CVT)
12345 - Serial

Using that format this mini should be 5 speed, but it's a 6 speed according to the seller.

I'm so confused.

This is the spec of the car... I get the feeling some of this can't be on a preface lift. So what can't?:

Driver, passenger and side airbags
17" alloys
Remote central locking
Cruise control
Climate control
Heated seats
Electric heated mirrors
Glovebox ipod connectivity
Chilli pack
Vision pack
Limited slip differential as fitted on face-lift model
Herman Kardon CD hi-fi
Rear ISOFIX child seat system
Factory d-badged
Darkend glass
Panoramic roof
Factory satellite navigation and optional TV
Factory rear light upgrade to face-lift model
Full service history.
Vision pack which includes factory xenon headlights and wash, anti fog front screen, fog lights and rain sensing wipers

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
I think you will find that the car is not a face lift, the spec has little to do with it. Although I would question the parts mentioned 'from factory' as they could have been fitted after it was built. I have two face lift models, both R53s, a July 04 and March 06 and I'm currently borrowing my brothers pre face lift built in June 04. As far as I'm aware all r53s have a 6 speed gearbox, the r53 is specifically the supercharged model.
The main differences are:
Rear lights, reverse light on pre is in the middle where the fog light is on a facelift
Facelift r53 came with zenon headlights as standard so no need for it as an extra
Dash panels are in 5 sections pre, 3 sections on facelift
Interior clock was moved from the ceiling into the speedo
I also believe the engine was tweeked to 170bhp from 163

Does sound like a very high spec pre facelift to me but the above should confirm if!
Hope that helps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.