MINI Cooper Forum banner

Clutch goes to floor but does not return

31K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
On my 2004 Mini S, for a few weeks now, every now and then the clutch wouldn't return and because of that I couldn't shift into gear. This only happened at slow speeds. I figured out that I could pull the clutch pedal up with my foot and everything worked fine. So this was intermittent. When I was out yesterday the clutch went to the floor and pulling the pedal back up didn't help. I figured the piston seals went bad. It was a real hassle driving it home in 1st year, especially at stop signs (I avoid stop signals). I have not done this type of work, but I am asking what do I need to do to fix the issue and is it a difficult process? I am guessing I just need to replace a master brake cylinder, but I don't know, so I am asking for you guys to give me direction. I could take it (flat bed it) to a mechanic and he could do the work for about $300-400 or I could since the mechanic says he's busy for the next 3 weeks.

#4 ·
Get under the car, have a look at the clutch slave and see if its leaking. If it is, put a new one on and bleed it, its a 30 min swap over from start to finish. Your going to need a mate to help you bleed it (pump the pedal) or use a vacuum bleeder. Modmini on YouTube covers it and also shows how to compress it while your bleeding the slave. If its the master cylinder then your up for more work as the clutch and brake fluid are combined. Look at the slave 1st before you go pulling other bits apart.

#6 ·
There is a huge difference from a Master and a Slave, however, your pedal pushes fluid from the reservoir via the Master through the line to the Slave where the Slave moves the clutch arm, its that simple. Get yourself one of these to bleed the system with as it makes life a lot easier.

SP Tools Brake AND Clutch Pressure Bleeding KIT SP70809 | eBay

Also have a read of this attachment.

Attachments

#9 ·
UPDATE: With the help of my wife I was able to flush the clutch and there was some air but not a lot. Buttoned everything up
Flushed out a few more times. There's quite a bit of pedal travel before I am able to start the car.The pedal doesn't feel solid and I can't engage the gears.
So I am back to where I started from except now I have a new clutch slave cylinder.

#10 ·
Did you bleed it compressed 1st ? if you didn't, you will have a pocket of air remaining in the slave as you bleed it. If your bleeding them by pushing the pedal, you need to push the pedal vigorously compared to bleeding brakes to push any air through the system and slave. If your not using a pressure bleeding bottle, I wold advise you get one as they are a lot easier and will also prevent letting the reservoir getting to low and re introducing air into the system. You also need to take a lot of care when un compressing the slave prior to reinstalling it onto the bracket as it is very easy to cock the piston to far and have air creep past the seal resulting in air back in the system or a leaking slave. Took me 3 times to bleed mine when I bled it the old fashioned way. This time I'm using a pressure bleeder.

#12 · (Edited)
Yes I bleed it compressed. Had the wife push down on the clutch and hold it there while I opened the bleed screw. Did this multiple times maybe 9 or 10 times.
No sure by what you mean - "push the pedal vigorously"? Are you saying pump the pedal a number of times and then hold the pedal down then open the bleed screw?

#11 ·
Bleed the brakes too, as they are combined in the reservoir. If you let too much fluid out you can get air in the ABS, which is more difficult to get out without a power bleeder.

#13 ·
G'day, by vigorously, I mean pump it reasonably fast unlike brakes where you want a smooth fluid movement on each stroke. I use about 3' of clear hose off the bleed nipple and keep the bottle above the slave when I bleed the old fashioned way as the length of hose above the slave lets me see that there is deff no air bubbles in the line. Again, if you can get a pressure bleeder, its a ot easier to do and can be done solo. You wont know if its free of air until you refit the slave to the gearbox and test it but using a long hose on the bleed nipple will give you a better indication of any air (even tiny bubbles) left in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.