MINI Cooper Forum banner

5 door hatch: Cooper or Cooper D?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
Desperate for some advice before I swap my 2007 R56 for a 5 door hatch. Can you help?

I am very much a town/city driver, rarely drive for more than 15 minutes at a time and average around 8000 miles a year. Have always had petrol engines.

However, now upgrading to a 5 door hatch and there seem to be many more diesels than petrols on the market and the diesels seem to be cheaper. Have seen a low mileage 2015 Cooper D with the spec I want (Chili and Media XL) at a price I can afford (same cant be said for a petrol).

I've been told that with my driving profile, I could do damage to the diesel's engine. Is this true? Others have said that I will find the 5 door Cooper's engine very 'flat', especially since I dont often do the sort of driving where I'd feel the benefit of the higher torque diesel. Does anyone own a 5 door Cooper D and do similar driving to me? What's your experience so far? Do you regret getting it? (None available locally, so I cant easily test drive).

I just cant decide whether to get a lower spec petrol or the higher spec, cheaper and more easy to find diesel.

#3 · (Edited)
On the technical side it would be better to buy petrol because of the low mileage you are doing also there is a problem of ERG on diesel in town/city ride (just how much dirt is recirculated back into the engine you can't even imagine but this is the price of ecology). If we are comparing the F series 1.5 petrol and 1.5 diesel.
On a price you know the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.