MINI Cooper Forum banner

Need brakes repair advice

711 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've recently had an issue with my brakes and the dealership has assessed it and informed me that I have a brake fluid leak, need new brake lines and new brake pads. They have quoted my repair at $2400 which is A LOT. I obviously can't drive the car without proper brakes.

The year of the car is 2006 with just over 100,000 km. Besides, the brakes, I've replaced my exhaust recently because it was rusted with a hole. The dealership also informed me that because the repair involves taking apart bottom of the car and that there is rust on the bottom, there is a chance of risking more damage, which I also can't afford.

I'm not sure what to do right now with the car. It doesn't feel right disposing of the car because it is in great condition otherwise. I cannot afford a $2400+ repair at this time.

I'm not sure what to do! Any advice? Any help is appreciated as I know nothing about cars :(

#4 ·
A roll of brake pipe in the UK is about £12, and £120 will get you a set of disks and pads (front and back). Add another £10 for brake fluid and pennies for any brake pipe unions and do the job yourself. Oh you will need a brake pipe flaring tool so add about £15- £20 for that or you could ask your local garage nicely to make your pipes up if you give them the pipe and the size and the easiest way to do that is to give them the old pipe as a template ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.