SS+ Sports Suspension + Other Options? - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

2Likes
  • 2 Post By NigelK

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 03:31 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

SS+ Sports Suspension + Other Options?

Appreciate this is a Gen 1 question but I've posted here in General Discussion as I hoped it would get a wider airing.
My 2005 R53 MCS had 228 Sports Suspension Settings Plus (SS+) fitted as 'standard' (looking at the VIN Decoder) when supplied new.
Was this what you got as standard on all Gen 1 MCSs? No other suspension options? Was it possible to have 'NOT Sports Suspension Settings Plus' on them? It is harsh as hell and I don't like it.
Is R50 Cooper suspension different/softer? Can it be fitted to an R53?
For those of you who use Minitorque as well as Mini2, you will know that I'd get serious abuse for this post!! The 'mind the gap' and coilie merchants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 08:57 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

United Kingdom View brassd's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

In my experience SS+ on a R53 Cooper S rides better than SS on a R50 Cooper, with the same 17" wheels.

If you want to improve the ride, switch to 16" wheels or ditch the runflats. Both are a noticeable improvement.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Thanks Brassd. That's what I'm concluding.
Spoke to 1320 Mini and Sussex Road & Race today about the ride and suspension changes and they both said - first thing is ditch the run-flats, see how it feels.
Then if still not how I want it, think about the suspension.
My run-flats are pretty new (previous owner) and I was going to wait till I've worn them down/out. But I swap between the Mini and my other car so it'll take for ever. I'm desperate to improve the ride so I've got to bite the bullet and get it done soon.
With luck, should be able to get some money back by selling the decent run-flats on eBay or a forum.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2017, 06:45 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Put some decent normal tyres on and sell the runcr@ps on TotalMini, they're a sucker for stuff like that
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2017, 08:22 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Male

Just ditched the runflats on my 2006 mcs with ss+, fitted 4 toyo proxes t1-r's 205/45-17 and a 4 wheel alignment and the difference is fantastic. No more hopping all over the road, it now inspires loads of confidence with better comfort.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Thanks JonnyC, wondered where the best place would be to sell the runcr@ps. Which I will do. The Pirellis were costly new.

drewry, great advice. I really like Proxes T1-Rs. Put them on a Golf VR6 I had about 5 years ago and they were excellent. Quiet and comfortable, not that the Golf had a hard ride like an MCS. And despite then criticisms I've read, I didn't find them a problem in the wet.
Kuhmo Ecsta Le Sport KU39 seem to have fans. And some Hankooks and Nankangs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Decided the run-flats had to go. But keep the 17"s, at least for now.
4 x standard tyres ordered from Camskill on Saturday which arrived this morning. had them fitted late this afternoon. Haven't been far yet - only about 20 miles on local B roads I know well. Before with the run-flats I cringed and tensed, ready for the 'whack crash' and the jarring, whenever I saw an imperfection, poor surface, rough bit, small pothole, roughed up tarmac coming.
Within those meagre 20 miles, I've forgotten about them. Already! OK big potholes you feel but then you do in almost any car. I'm amazed at the difference in ride even after so few miles. Too new and too few miles to comment on the handling yet.
So I've got a nice set of run-flats for sale. 205/45/17 2 X Pirelli P Zero and 2 x Marshal Matrac FX MU11. Both loads of tread.
They are still in boot of the Mini. Need out, a good clean, check tread depth, take some pics. And sell' em.
JohnnyC and SeanC like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Gave the run cr*ps to the guy who has just fitted my Milltek and Orranje CAI against the bill. Could have got a bit more probably but it avoided piddling about with fleabay. Only in my boot for 24 hours! Deep joy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Incidentally, No-ones asked. Maybe no-one is interested! I put on Cooper Zeon CS Sport 205/45/17 88W XL. From Camskill. I've also posted this in the Tyres thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.