Gearbox/ clutch - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Milpol
  • 2 Post By Akkip
  • 1 Post By SeanC
  • 1 Post By Milpol
  • 1 Post By Akkip
  • 1 Post By Akkip

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gearbox/ clutch

Over the weekend I had an issue with the car 2004 cooper, I had trouble getting it in reverse, then eventually managed to get it in gear.

After around 5 minutes I put the car into 3rd and it bunny hopped made a lot of banging and stopped. It will only turn over with the clutch down. Any ideas on the cause and cost of repair?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:37 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Sounds like you have a failed Midlands gear box, they mostly fail due to being thrashed and laboured in 5th gear which puts a lot of stress on the shaft and hence a failed bearing, also an adherence to the BMW filled for life policy which is garbage and should have a complete oil change every 50,000 km or 30,000 miles. If you live in the UK, you wont go past John Tee at this link, mini gearbox, gear fix - Mini recon gearboxes | BMW MINI cheap gearboxes .

The Midlands also has a large supply of parts available for replacement as long as there is no damage to the gearbox housing.

Cost will be dependant on you swapping the box out or paying some one to do it, also the cost of repairing the box, DIY or Pay to repair.

Again, if your in the UK call John Tee and have a chat, if your any where else, its anyone's guess.

John has an FB page at this link, https://www.facebook.com/Mini-Gearbo...4655564239946/

SeanC likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Norway Male

First of, sorry to hear about the box failure, it's really sour when things like that happen.

Definitively sounds like a fatal gearbox failure, the only thing you can do now is have the gearbox removed and the unit inspected.
Not really sure if the bolt patterns are the same, but maybe you could look into a possible swap to the MCS GETRAG gearbox, it can take a lot more of a beating.

Hope it gets sorted
SeanC and Milpol like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:24 PM
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Getrag swap out is possible but you would also need hubs and drive shafts to match
Milpol likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
Also gear shift assembly, shift cables, clutch slave cylinder, clutch line segment (clutch line is in several parts) etc so consider the cost, John Tee also does the conversions.
SeanC likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 12:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

Speaking of gearboxes and a bit off topic (sorry)
Just saw a JCW Getrag 6spd pop up on eBay, listed as Limited slip, can anyone confirm that the JCW had that on the R53?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:52 PM
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkip View Post
Speaking of gearboxes and a bit off topic (sorry)
Just saw a JCW Getrag 6spd pop up on eBay, listed as Limited slip, can anyone confirm that the JCW had that on the R53?
Cant see why not, I have one on my R53. There was a way of working out which GB had the LSD by one of the component stamps on the GB.

Will just pop out and look at my spare !

OK, had a look and there is a label with a bar code and some numbers which end in BKL and from memory that tells you if its got an LSD. I will however stand corrected but that is what I was advised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milpol For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:16 PM
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
OK, this thread had a ref to the type of boxes, http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...eed-boxes.html

Quote:
Ok,

The old 2002 type gearbox is GS6-85BG - TBKA

the new 2005 type gearbox is GS6-85BG - TBKE

And if your really lucky and it ends in TBKL it already has a diff on it. Not sure if you can see that anywhere on the box
Unquote:

Also see the image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	8
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	211009  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milpol For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:41 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

Thanks @Milpol , as always you are the wikipedia when it comes to obscure info!

Guess i'll just have to live without since the seller didn't really want to ship it here.
Shame really as i'm converting to a single mass lightened flywheel and stage 2 clutch, and having the diff thrown in at the same time would save a lot in labor costs ..

(Sidenote: Was just out minding my own business when what i presume was a Mk IV Golf 1.6 petrol pulled up alongside me wanting to race, needless to say he got parked hard)
Milpol likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 12:19 AM
MINI2 Master

Australia Male

Garage
Cheers, from what I can gather, the Quaife is the better option for LSD but its not cheap

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 12:27 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpol View Post
Cheers, from what I can gather, the Quaife is the better option for LSD but its not cheap
Been drooling over that one for a while, but it costs quite alot, not as much as the OsGaiken one which has (according to them) "True 100% locking capabilities".. But still.. it's quite the investment.
Milpol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.