Upgrading from Cooper to Cooper S, is it worth it? - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

2Likes
  • 1 Post By mike1967
  • 1 Post By spikeyadrian

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Upgrading from Cooper to Cooper S, is it worth it?

I currently own an R56 base Cooper (118hp). I bought it because at the time insurance would be too much on a cooper s (I'm 18) but I had a look and it's actually way more reasonable than I thought. Is it worth selling my r56 cooper and buying a 2010 (N18) R56 cooper s. It would cost me around £1000 as my cars worth around £4500 and I found an S for about £5500
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 04:35 PM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by odzn View Post
I currently own an R56 base Cooper (118hp). I bought it because at the time insurance would be too much on a cooper s (I'm 18) but I had a look and it's actually way more reasonable than I thought. Is it worth selling my r56 cooper and buying a 2010 (N18) R56 cooper s. It would cost me around £1000 as my cars worth around £4500 and I found an S for about £5500
Thanks
guess it depends on what is more important to you, running costs or knuts power turbo engine cars are fast more of a giggle to drive, down side is mpg cost of tyres and also more to go wrong and they do go wrong as any high performance car will more so than a unstressed car like your cooper. for running costs are key so cooper d with a map gets the best of both worlds and no timing chain issues, and driven well it will give most things a run for their money,

Milpol likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 08:00 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Okay, so this isn't an exact comparison.....but it's near enough!
Way back in 2004, I purchased my first brand new BMW Mini, it was a Cooper.
At the time I didn't have the funds available to afford the Cooper S and I always regretted it!
Last May I sold my lovely Cooper after 12 years of ownership and purchased a 2013 JCW R56.
This is the car I had always wanted!
I remember when my Cooper was at Mini having work done on it and the dealership loaned me an R56 Cooper S, I couldn't believe the difference.
I realised then, I should have purchased a Cooper S from the start.

I know they (Cooper S) are more expensive to run, petrol, tyres etc etc but I personally think just for the extra enjoyment you get from driving,
them, they are worth the extra.
MiniAlf486 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spikeyadrian For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 06:49 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think if you are looking for the next big step, a JCW would be the way to go, there are rapid little car out of the box in standard form, so with a remap are real weapons. I was amazed at the handling different between the Cooper S and JCW, it was like going from a BMW 330I to a M3-E46, night and day difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.