MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bike Racks

12K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ejo06 
#1 ·
Has anybody purchased a bike rack for their mini one/cooper(s) as we have to mountain bikes and are keen to use the "grin" machine to carry the bikes instead of the BMW 318isE

If so any recommendations of makes etc ?

#2 ·
If you go to Halford stores they have a cut out of a MINI rear end with a bike rack displayed on it near the fronts of the stores (midlands area ones anyway)....This looks like a half decent rack so I'd try there as a first option to get the makes/models that will fit then see if you can price them cheaper than Halfords!

#3 ·
Saris Bones Bike Rack

Search for "Saris Bones" and you will find loads of posts about this particular rack.

Received lots of good reviews and looks the part. Halfords sell the 3 bike version (four arms), but i wanted the smaller two bike version (three arms) and couldn't find this in the UK.

Ordered from www.aebike.com in the US ($79.99 plus shipping) and waiting for delivery.

Following post by noahe copied for info:

The Saris Bones Bike rack is now an official fit for the 2002 & 2003 MINI Cooper & MINI Cooper S.

Check out www.sarisracks.com and they now have our MINI's listed in their product fit guide. Choose your MINI, rear-fit location, and click "Saris Bones".

Both the Original Saris Bones 2-Bike rack, and the New Saris Bones 3-Bike rack (available in multiple colours) will fit the MINI.

Please note: Narrow Bumper, use caution when placing foot on bumper.

Graber makes no mention of the accessory "Hatch Huggers" in their fit-guide, however, I found that replacing the supplied rubber coated steel hooks with the Hatch Huggers made for a more stable fit, and gave me peace of mind about my paint job.

#5 ·
Stellablade - yes ordered two sets of hatch huggers as the main problem I've had in the past with rear mounted racks is the damage caused by standard clips.

As you're also in Sheffield you're welcome to try the rack when it arrives.

Get my MCS next Monday from Sheffield Sytner - counting down!

#6 ·
Cheers mate. You got a good price on the Bones, probably works out cheaper than buying it here in the UK!

I know what you're saying about the clips, I have a Thule rack which is supposedly a fit for the MINI. I hate the thing, the fit was poor and it stripped paint from the boot hinge. I got back from a holiday in Wales to find the rack had slipped to the edge of the boot :eek:

I've considered the roof mounted Mont Blanc rack, but I'm still not confident about putting two bikes on there, especially as the rack is only held on by the plastic gutter.

Just taken my car down to Sytners this morning. Hopefully sort out a few niggly problems.

Bet you can't wait until next Monday. I remember the excitement leading up to the big day and the nervousness driving it out of the showroom!

andyd said:
Stellablade - yes ordered two sets of hatch huggers as the main problem I've had in the past with rear mounted racks is the damage caused by standard clips.

As you're also in Sheffield you're welcome to try the rack when it arrives.

Get my MCS next Monday from Sheffield Sytner - counting down!

#9 ·
This is what I've been told
===================================

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the Sport-Link™ and Bike Rack. We anticipate them being available in limited quantities in early-mid November. We regularly send out updates as to the availability of our products and if you’d like to receive these updates please fill out the information form on our website at www.minifini.com and you will automatically be added to our e-mail contact list.

I do have one photo taken at a recent MINI rally that shows the Sport-Link™ and Bike Rack on the back of a 2003 Cooper S. I am attaching it to this e-mail for you to see. Hopefully we’ll have some better pictures on our website soon.

When you receive notification that the Sport-Link™ and Bike Rack are available, contact your dealership and ask them if they have them in stock. The part number for the Sport-Link™ is 82 11 0 154 539 and for the Bike Rack, 82 11 0 154 540. If you have any problems or questions please contact me.

Thank you again for your interest in Mini-Fini accessories. Happy MINI motoring!

Deborah Williams
Sales Coordinator, Mini-Fini, Ltd.

#10 ·
Hi there, I see that some of you are using rear mounted bike racks and sound happy with them. I just got back from interbike (the vegas bicycle trade show) where YAKIMA was displaying a roof rack system for the bmw mini. They actualy had a yellow cooper s as part of their booth display. I've tried a thule rear mounted rack on my car and did not like it. I'll be ordering a YAKIMA roof rack system for my car very soon. Good luck.
Happy motoring!
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.