MINI Cooper Forum banner

What does the "S" stand for in Cooper S ?

64K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  Jackdaniel 
#1 ·
Do we have a definitive answer to this age-old question? (I promise that I already searched for this in the forums...couldn't find it anywhere)

For the longest time, I've thought that it never really stood for ANYthing. I'm now coming up against a severe pocket of resistance that thinks it stands for "supercharged".

For the application of this trivia tidbit I have planned, the word from MINIUSA will be considered the "official" source.

Until doubt was cast on my view of the matter, I would have sworn that I had seen documentation FROM MINIUSA to the effect that the "S" doesn't stand for anything.

Help, as always, is immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#32 ·
Didnt Rover Call the last off the line Coopers Coopersports meaning the then John Cooper Converted S would have been the sports sports or sports special. Hence the evolution of the works badge. Some early marketing to prepare us for the BMW Cooper S perhaps.

Back then an S was only a conversion you could buy one new but it was allways a conversion now Works has become the top rung on the ladder and is the officially sanctioned conversion.

Does that make sense?

#33 ·
Damo said:
Spot on, S doesn't stand for anything. I was under the impression, John Cooper and a partner in crime (didnt think he had one) or whatever couldnt agree on Special or Super/Sport or summat else, anyway they couldn't agree so just called it the Cooper S.
spot on Damo, infact Issigonis wanted Special, John Cooper wanted Sport......they couldn't agree so it did indeed become Cooper S
;)

#35 ·
i've been beating my head against the wall trying to remember...i swear i can remember reading in a "MINI history" book somewhere that the original story WAS something along the lines of disagreement between Cooper and Issigonis on what exactly the "S" should stand for, as several of you have mentioned...but i can't remember where i saw it!

can anyone help me out? here's a chance to peruse all of your MINI literature again (as if you really needed an excuse). i spent last nite going through everything i had, to no avail. (much to my surprise, usually unfailing google hasn't been very helpful, either!)

i really can't believe that the "S" stands for supercharged, especially in light of the rumors i've heard of an upcoming turbo, AND the fact that the original Cooper S wasn't supercharged. (this is the definition that my main adversary is sticking to)

back to researching....thanks everyone! :)

#36 ·
The concept of Cooper 'S' dates back to the early '60's and the classic mini. So therefore 'S' never has and really because of the mini heritage which now evolves into the new MINI, never will stand for Supercharged.

As I mentioned in my earlier post it was a disagreement between the two masters of the mini, Issigonis and Cooper. This dates back to around 1963/64, which is sometime before new Mini arrived on the scene :D

Issigonis was a stickler for the mini being a masterpiece of automotive engineering and didn't agree that it should be speedy or used for racing and rallying, but the marketing men got their way.

Issigonis even designed the dash so you could not put a radio in such was his ideal for engineering over pleasure. Remember he also designed the Morris Minor prior to the mini. :)

#45 ·
gtt19 said:
Do we have a definitive answer to this age-old question? (I promise that I already searched for this in the forums...couldn't find it anywhere)

For the longest time, I've thought that it never really stood for ANYthing. I'm now coming up against a severe pocket of resistance that thinks it stands for "supercharged".

For the application of this trivia tidbit I have planned, the word from MINIUSA will be considered the "official" source.

Until doubt was cast on my view of the matter, I would have sworn that I had seen documentation FROM MINIUSA to the effect that the "S" doesn't stand for anything.

Help, as always, is immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance!
S - bend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.