MINI Cooper Forum banner

What does the "S" stand for in Cooper S ?

64K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  Jackdaniel 
#1 ·
Do we have a definitive answer to this age-old question? (I promise that I already searched for this in the forums...couldn't find it anywhere)

For the longest time, I've thought that it never really stood for ANYthing. I'm now coming up against a severe pocket of resistance that thinks it stands for "supercharged".

For the application of this trivia tidbit I have planned, the word from MINIUSA will be considered the "official" source.

Until doubt was cast on my view of the matter, I would have sworn that I had seen documentation FROM MINIUSA to the effect that the "S" doesn't stand for anything.

Help, as always, is immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
stillthewhizz said:
BMW & MINI have said it once before and will say it again and again. The S does not mean anything. The liked the design of the S because it looked like a sweeping road. Anyway it can be interepted as Sport or Supercharged. But it means nothing.
:confused: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: LOLOLOL

#6 ·
gtt19 said:
Do we have a definitive answer to this age-old question? (I promise that I already searched for this in the forums...couldn't find it anywhere)

For the longest time, I've thought that it never really stood for ANYthing. I'm now coming up against a severe pocket of resistance that thinks it stands for "supercharged".

For the application of this trivia tidbit I have planned, the word from MINIUSA will be considered the "official" source.

Until doubt was cast on my view of the matter, I would have sworn that I had seen documentation FROM MINIUSA to the effect that the "S" doesn't stand for anything.

Help, as always, is immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance!
If someone thinks that 'S' stands for supercharger, then they'll have to change their opinion when the supercharger is replaced by a turbocharger in the next engine. Or will MINI call it a 'T'. Hardly think so.

#9 ·
MINI Cooper Sex

Driving a MINI is like Making Love to a Beautiful Woman ...
You`ve first got to check its Clean, Caressing the bodywork, giving every Inch of it your loving attention and make sure you've got a nice wet sponge, before makng slow circular movements around any Blemishes.
Gently open its Doors & squeeze inside, being carefull not to scratch the Leather, as you get into a comfortable position.
Check the Knob is in Neutral by pushing it from side to side, before easing it into position for a Smooth take off.
Insert the Key & Twist it, just long enough for her engine to throb into Life
Push your foot down an inch or two at first, & then All the way as you feel it penetrate the air
If you feel yourself Coming close too an early Accident by nudging too close to Danger, then Hold on Tight particularly if it's a rear-ender and pray you make contact with her twin
airbags as soon as possible.

;)

#12 ·
Paul Mullett said:
Most (almost all) of the books and documents I've seen on the Minis past show the original Cooper S was S for Special. There was a "Super" but that's something else. I've also seen it called Cooper Sport by those who were around "at the time". I would say Special is the most accurate and widely quoted definition.

Is that because it's very "special" at getting stuck on slippery grass verges?? :D

#16 ·
MiniCooper said:
On the original, John Cooper couldnt decide whether to call it Super or Special, so he went for both, and chose S. Well, something like that anyway
Spot on, S doesn't stand for anything. I was under the impression, John Cooper and a partner in crime (didnt think he had one) or whatever couldnt agree on Special or Super/Sport or summat else, anyway they couldn't agree so just called it the Cooper S.

#17 ·
Restyle said:
MINI Cooper Sex

Driving a MINI is like Making Love to a Beautiful Woman ...
You`ve first got to check its Clean, Caressing the bodywork, giving every Inch of it your loving attention and make sure you've got a nice wet sponge, before makng slow circular movements around any Blemishes.
Gently open its Doors & squeeze inside, being carefull not to scratch the Leather, as you get into a comfortable position.
Check the Knob is in Neutral by pushing it from side to side, before easing it into position for a Smooth take off.
Insert the Key & Twist it, just long enough for her engine to throb into Life
Push your foot down an inch or two at first, & then All the way as you feel it penetrate the air
If you feel yourself Coming close too an early Accident by nudging too close to Danger, then Hold on Tight particularly if it's a rear-ender and pray you make contact with her twin
airbags as soon as possible.

;)
Whew! Getting hot in here! :eek:

#18 ·
Damo said:
Spot on, S doesn't stand for anything. I was under the impression, John Cooper and a partner in crime (didnt think he had one) or whatever couldnt agree on Special or Super/Sport or summat else, anyway they couldn't agree so just called it the Cooper S.
Woohoo, so i was right!!!

#22 ·
SPECIAL was what BMC (Jack Daniels i beleive) wanted to call in back in 1962 but John Cooper Did not like the name so they shortened it to S

#26 ·
Shaun said:
I heard the story that Isssigonis wanted special and Cooper wanted sport so S was the compromise. Issigonis was not keen at first on his family runabout being a racer but the idea grew on him.:)

Today S Stands for Service aS thatS what my S haS had thiS morning.:)
Thats the sotroy I halfed rememebered! I knew it was John Cooper and someone arguing over Special and something else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.