MINI Cooper Forum banner

TLC Servicing on Cherished 50k MINI

7K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  ALD0 
#1 ·
Am I right in thinking that the TLC servicing expires at 50k miles, my Cherished MINI will soon be up to the 50kmark, should I book in for a service, although it were only done in February I think last (when I purchased it)

Si

#3 ·
Hi Si. TLC can expire before 50k/5yrs as it only includes a set number of services, and the car decides when it needs these. So assuming your car hasn't had all it's TLC services then you need to speak to your dealer. If the car isn't showing it's service indicator light they may refuse to service it. The way TLC is sold as 5yrs/50k really is misleading.

#4 ·
The TLC pack last as long as the 3 vouchers last... I used all my vouchers at 33,000 miles and 3 and a bit years old... I did not realise this until the service guy tried to sell me an extra 3 years and 30,000 pack!
He explained the vouchers system covers what it covers and NOT 5 years and 50,000 in my case...
Also, you can't book the car in early as they are instructed to only service the car when the service indicator tells you it needs a service, if it still shows you have 5,000 miles left they will not touch it!!!
Great value pack but it still falls short of what its meant to provide which is a full 5 years and 50,000 miles!

#10 ·
Also, bear in mind that the 50k service (Inspection II) is NOT covered by TLC.

As part of TLC you get:

10k 1st oil service
25k Inspection 1
35k 2nd oil service
Brake fluid change at 2 years old.
(bear in mind the above mileages will vary car-to-car)

If you're nearing 50k miles, it's likely that the TLC vouchers will have all been used up, and you'll need to plump for TLC XL.

#13 ·
You can book your car in early for a service with TLC.

You have to have a valid reason such as "I am driving to Italy and expect to do a large amount of milage"

Your dealer will e-mail Mini who will then authorise the service, this is exactly what I did as my indicator had a few thousand to go but I wanted my service done earlier.

Just lie.

#21 ·
Our MCS is just over 5 years old on ~41k and 700 miles off it's next service and I've one TLC voucher left. Are we saying the dealer will not honour that 'cos it's >5 years old - or have I misunderstood this thread?

Also, what next for servicing packages, or am I on my own now? - what is TLC XL?

Kev

#22 ·
TLC will expire when one of the following happens (whichever is earliest), the car is 5yrs old, the car has done 50k, or the owner has used all their TLC vouchers. So if your car is +5 yrs old then chances are you won't get to use that last voucher. If it is approaching 5 yrs old I'd get it booked in now :)

Last time I looked at TLC XL it included a couple more services I think. As with TLC there is a time and mileage limit, although would probably run out way before. Can't remember the exact details as MINI have changed the packages recently.

Just had a look on the MINI site and there doesn't seem to be any mention of TLC or TLC XL.

#25 ·
I have called my local dealer, as there is more than 1000 miles to go on the inspection service, I will lose out on my 2nd Oil service, the car is going to hit 50k very shortly so will opt for TLC XL where I will get this second service re instated and also a 3rd service providing I do enough miles to cover. As MINI Cab also explained you get inspection 2 and 2nd Brake fluid change.
The guy from the dealer quoted me approx £200 for a oil service and £350 for Inspection 2, so may as well buy the TLC XL, will also help re sale value of car I guess.

I was also quoted £320 for TLC XL, has the price gone up £20?!

Si

#29 ·
my car is 50k miles old now and TLC servicing has expired. im due an oil service now (£130) but am being offered the TLC XL pack @ £300. Thats an extra £170, is it worth it? How much is the inspeciton and brake fluid change worth, more than £170?

thanks

Mark
TLC XL includes your oil service (£130), an Inspection service (£160-230) and a brake fluid change (£65-80)... prices will vary depending on your dealer and location, but if you always use MINI service centres it's worth it.

#30 ·
I am really really confused. I bought my mini one about 3 weeks ago from an independant dealer and I found the TLC vouchers, I think I have inspection 2 to come my car has just over 25000 but it was born in feb 2002, am I right in thinking mine has ran out? I

'm sorry if it seems really obvious I just don't understand the logic of selling them in a timescale or milage rather than a set amount of services.

#31 ·
niccc, your car should have had it's first Oil Service at 10,000 miles/2 years old (whichever occurred first) followed by it's first Inspection I at 25,000 miles/2 years later (again, whichever occurred first)

It should also have had it's first Brake Fluid Change at 2 years old, and it's second at 4 years old, regardless of mileage.

The next service due is another Oil Service, which is due at 40,000 miles/2 years after the Inspection I (you guessed it, whichever occurs first! ;) ).

You are right in thinking that your TLC has expired, as it is only valid for a maximum 5 years. :(

#33 ·
niccc, your car should have had it's first Oil Service at 10,000 miles/2 years old (whichever occurred first) followed by it's first Inspection I at 25,000 miles/2 years later (again, whichever occurred first)

It should also have had it's first Brake Fluid Change at 2 years old, and it's second at 4 years old, regardless of mileage.

The next service due is another Oil Service, which is due at 40,000 miles/2 years after the Inspection I (you guessed it, whichever occurs first! ;) ).

You are right in thinking that your TLC has expired, as it is only valid for a maximum 5 years. :(
Well I went back and had a look today and it has expired but the previous owner didnt even get the first inspection done only the first voucher is gone out of the book. I wish that I could get the inspections etc done on it just for piece of mind. It also seems like a bit of a waste for the previous owner to have it and not use it (or maybe they don't value coupons as highly as I do given that I am a student!!!) Thanks for your help anyway mate.

#34 ·
You need to check with the dealer if it has had it's 1st Inspection done, I still have the vouchers in my TLC book, it's on the system if the Car has TLC or not and the dealer don't always tear the vouchers out, has it been stamped in your book on having the 1st inspection done?

#35 ·
Yea, you need to check its been done, if serviced at the main dealer, it should be recorded whats been done to the car on their system.

I'm going in for 1st brake fluid change tomorrow - only remembered because I pressed my Trip button to re-set the mileage after filling up with derv, and it was flashing -40 days for the brake fluid service. I thought a clock was supposed to flash up (To make it idiot proof) on the ODO when its due for brake fluid? Any experience of that folks?:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.