Clutch Failure - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Maintenance & MINI Care

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: If you had a MINI clutch failure, please select your model.
R50 (I paid) 10 13.51%
R50 (Warranty Covered) 5 6.76%
R53 ( I Paid) 17 22.97%
R53 (Warranty Covered) 8 10.81%
R52 ( I Paid) 2 2.70%
R52 (Warranty Covered) 0 0%
R55 ( I Paid) 2 2.70%
R55 (Warranty Covered) 1 1.35%
R56 ( I Paid) 20 27.03%
R56 (Warranty Covered) 10 13.51%
R57 ( I Paid) 1 1.35%
R57 (Warranty Covered) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for feedback on clutch issues ('08 Clubman S) Blue08ClubmanS MINI Clubman 8 Jan 25th, 2014 08:39 AM
Stubborn Dealership over Clutch Bleed MiniDeLux Second Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Mar 18th, 2013 10:45 AM
Chocolate Clutch - Mini One steve-r General Discussion 1 Jan 4th, 2013 07:28 PM
2012 Cooper S clutch ellabean69 General Discussion 6 Nov 24th, 2012 01:46 PM
What RPM do you start 1st with? thewhitenight000 First Generation MINI Cooper 2 Aug 8th, 2012 06:19 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake

Local Time: 03:36 PM
United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Clutch Failure

OK, this is a poll that will hopefully try to breakdown clutch failure by variant. The idea of this poll is to show EARLY failure of a MINI clutch whether it was covered under warranty or not. This should give everyone an idea of who many failures there have been. Lastly, let's say for a standard that anything under 65K miles is considered an early failure. Most Japanese cars will go longer than this but then MINI is not in that category so we will keep it a bit more realistic. I am also including multiple selections as some of us have or have had more than one MINI.

Crud... I didn't break out the models further such as midlands or getrag. Perhaps a mod can help us out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Ireland Male
Thumbs up Clutch Failure

Cheers for that !

Now lets see if by giving it more prominence we can get forum members to support it. At the end of the day it will still only represent findings by those active on this Mini2 site. But its a start.

NOW GET VOTING

DublinChris

Re: Gearbox. Still kinda feel that it might restrict things a bit if people don't know what type of gearbox is fitted. Could we keep original format for the moment to see what kind of response we get over and above (hopefully) the 10 replies to the first poll effort?
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I have no problems with folks asking. Most that have a midlands or the CVT know it. The problem with our generation is that there were several gearboxes as MINI had big issues with the first one (Midlands).

If anything the first gen need to be broken down by pre or post facelift.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 07:36 PM
United Kingdom Male View 3rdpillar's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
R53 Clutch replaced under warranty by the dealer due to a leak that "could have compromised the clutch". Seeing as it was with the Cherished Warranty period a new clutch was fitted as a precaution .... Good Service, Good dealer,

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

To everyone that is voting.... It might also be a great idea to post your milage at failure. This way, you guys can use it to show BMW/MINI a trend.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Male
Thumbs up Clutch Failure

was thinking about the mileage issue as well. I have no knowledge about how the polls are set up but was wondering if for each Model there could be a box added that might give a choice of say - less than 30K or 30 - 60K. Just feel that if poll is suported and we get a good picture that Mini might still argue that 60K is not grounds for premature failure. One could argue it as "wear and tear".

I assume that "sticky" means a poll can stay in top spot so always visible on front page? I note some other polls have been running for quite a while now.

On gearbox - I think like me people find the site after Googling - maybe like me when a problem arises. In my case I found site first because of the coolant loss/thermostat issue. I readily admit to knowing nothing about the finer details of the car and have only built up my limited knowledge with the help of various forums. Knowing what type of gearbox is fitted does require searching. Yes I am sure at the end of the day it may well be worth knowing but could we keep it as an optiont box to tick for those who know and can be sure?

I have now determined that my Mini has a Jan 06 build date and has a production code R32. It has an engine designation W10. It was built in UK - Oxford?. There appear to be two gearbox possibilities GS5-65BH/52BG. Dont quite know what this all means - maybe you understand it?

Funny how things move along was talking with two friends over the weekend who have Minis. One has a Cooper first generation - pre facelift -it was bought second hand and has had some minor issues, the other is a ONE and it has had power steering issues which were repaired under warranty, both are going to check history of cars and pay attention to clutches.

Most of the owners I know would be unaware of the designation/specifics of their cars and generally - as we do - like their cars.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
DublinChris

Quote: Originally Posted by DaFlake (original)
To everyone that is voting.... It might also be a great idea to post your milage at failure. This way, you guys can use it to show BMW/MINI a trend.

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI One Seven

United Kingdom Male View M.O.S's Pepper White & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile
Clutch changed under warranty just below 21k (20,9xx). Something to do with the release bearing.

Also had a different selector box fitted to my getrag box at 33,274

The Original MINI One Seven
Yorkshire MINI Register - PM for details
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Male
Unhappy Clutch Failure

Hi DaFlake
Just wondering if you had any advice on the Sticky possibilities for the poll?

Having said that I am now somewhat depressed after going back through posts on the same clutch failure issue. I find the same problem back to 2003 at least and on different continents. And I have found other polls with up to 90 replies. Looks like these issues eventually run out of steam and BMW/Mini win the day so we just keep paying up

The posts turn up in very many sections and some could have been written by myself based on the similarities of experiences

Many of original posters have probably moved on judging by lack of continuity

DublinChris

Quote: Originally Posted by DaFlake (original)
OK, this is a poll that will hopefully try to breakdown clutch failure by variant. The idea of this poll is to show EARLY failure of a MINI clutch whether it was covered under warranty or not. This should give everyone an idea of who many failures there have been. Lastly, let's say for a standard that anything under 65K miles is considered an early failure. Most Japanese cars will go longer than this but then MINI is not in that category so we will keep it a bit more realistic. I am also including multiple selections as some of us have or have had more than one MINI.

Crud... I didn't break out the models further such as midlands or getrag. Perhaps a mod can help us out?

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

MINI pre facelift had the midlands gearbox and had a ton of issues. Also the CVT is known for failures.

As for the sticky I'll ask...
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM
...opinionated!

United Kingdom Male View Deep_27a's  &  2nd Gen  Profile View Deep_27a's Classified Ads
Clutch replaced on my 2003 R53 MCS @ around 49K Miles. Covered under warranty, started making a random noise for a brief moment after changing gears. It wasnt slipping but the noise was awful!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
owned my 03 works mini since new - paid just under 27000 grand - clutch went after 13000 miles - dealership said it was due to " aggresive driving " yet 11000 miles were motorway miles - i paid 1200 pounds to get it fixed - still got the same car besides that one blemish it still stands as one of the best cars ive driven
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM
recovering mini addict

United Kingdom Male
July 07 R56 MCS. Company car from new. Clutch went at 11k miles - told "driver profile" and an independent engineer couldn't pinpoint any obvious mechanical failure from inspection of clutch and flywheel only (off the car) so lease company paid for it, then recharged my employer. Mini UK not interested. Employer now trying to deduct £1,600 from my salary. Rather annoyed and fighting it all the way!

--
All MINIs are equal, but some are more equal than others.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View Czar's Classified Ads
If your engineer was not familiar with the operation of a dual mass flywheel, then he will only be looking for, driving plate material defect, pressure plate clamping force, sticking release mechanism, I know this is of no use now, however if anyone reading this finds themselves in a similar situation, and are not happy! Make sure if you draft in a independent engineer, he is familiar with the operation of the dual mass flywheel, and the tolerance measurement guide for failure.

Performance Powered By Thought.
Engineered Horsepower.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
recovering mini addict

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Czar (original)
If your engineer was not familiar with the operation of a dual mass flywheel, then he will only be looking for, driving plate material defect, pressure plate clamping force, sticking release mechanism, I know this is of no use now, however if anyone reading this finds themselves in a similar situation, and are not happy! Make sure if you draft in a independent engineer, he is familiar with the operation of the dual mass flywheel, and the tolerance measurement guide for failure.

Thanks. My employers sent the guy as it was a company car (from this place - Home). I also had a play with the bits myself. In terms of radial motion it was only a few teeth in either direction, so seemed OK. His report said "The dual mass flywheel was intact with slight radial and end float movement", but this was not quantified. 1mm could be 'slight', which could cause significant damage per the Valeo TSB that I've seen posted. Personally I think the alignment was out at the factory, and that significant wear occurred from day one. His "conclusion" is that the high level of overheating shown by the discoloration of the flywheel surface is consistent with operator induced slip. Whilst that is one explanation, I don't think it proves anything - surely incorrect set-up, or defect-induced slip would look the same?

--
All MINIs are equal, but some are more equal than others.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Switzerland Male
As already posted on the clutch petition stickied on Gen 1 Forum, after a refusal from the dealer and a calm, documented, polite but firm letter to MINI Switzerland, they have agreed to change my clutch (23'000 Miles) and front brakes (worn pads, worn but not warped disks) under warranty.

Hang in there, guys, there is hope yet...

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: