MINI Cooper Forum banner

Power steering pump????

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mab01uk 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2003 Mini Cooper 1.6 and yesterday I parked the car and switched on the engine and a fan was left on... I know it isn't the engine fan it sounded different. So I switched engine on again and turned it off.. The car silenced and I locked up and left. When I returned after work, I had no power.. Had to use key to open door and when I put key in ignition.. Nothing, no lights.. No nothing. Someone I saw in carpark helped me jump start the battery and I was on my way.. Until I got home and parked up and there was the fan noise again. So opened bonnet and heard hissing and fan coming from power steering pump. Left it to cool and opened the pump (?) to see if empty on
Fluid. It was full. Spoke to my local mechanic on the phone and automatically he said you'll need a new pump. Fitted will cost in excess of £600.
Only way of turning the fan noise off was to disconnect battery which I've done.
Does this answer seem likely to you?. I haven't had any faults with steering when driving the car so a failure doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Any solutions?? Thanks Marie.

#2 ·
Much more likely that the relay which controls the fan is Fubar'd.
The fan is controlled by the engine coolant sensor and the engine ECU - not the power steering control unit. I think the relay is located in the passenger side footwell (wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/R50_EK69923A.htm) - but I may be wrong - does anyone know the exact location??

#3 ·
I would say it is almost certainly the pump that needs replacing and a fairly common problem........the electronic control circuits inside the pump usually fail due to heat and build up of graphite dust from motor brushes. People often confuse the pump motor noise with a fan, and the ps fan was only fitted to Cooper S models in UK as far as I know.
More Here:
Power Steering Pump replacement - Forums

#6 ·
I recently bought a Mini cooper 2002 from Japan, I have two questions: When I turn off the engine the fan keep working for about 5min, is that normal?

2 - When I turn the steering wheel to left or right, I hear a noise coming from somewhere near the tyres. What is that? The steering fluid is on the level.

Is anyone who can help me please?

Regards

Roberty - Mozambique (Maputo)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.