MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini cooper s r53 37,000 using oil is this normal

28K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Caveman 
#1 ·
Hi

First post on here just wanting a bit of adivice I have bought an r53 cooper s in hyper blue from BMW mini dealer . Its done 37,000 miles and was serviced by them when I bought it . I decided to check my oil a month after purchasing it to find it was just registering on the dip stick and I mean just . I rang them to ask if the mechanic forgot to fill it up . I was asked how many miles I had done I told them about 1500 miles I was informed that it is normal for the r53 engine to burn this amount of oil :aargh:.
Is this normal to burn 1ltr of oil every 1500-2000 miles ?? are they having a laugh .
Should I be taking it back ??
By the way no blue smoke out the back exhaust it is a bit sooty no water in the oil and no oil leaks I am aware of , it also runs smooth .

Thanks

leedslad

#2 ·
My old R56 MCS was using oil too. I learnt to accept it. Dealer said it was normal for my turbo engine to 'use ' a litre per 1K miles.
There are many posts on here regarding oil usage, although most of it seems to be my model and not yours.
I used to check my oil level on a weekly basis (and still do).
You need to make your dealer aware that you want it recorded on their system.

#3 ·
One data point on oil consumption is not enough, unless it was YOU who last checked it. That mechanic isn't going to tell you he goofed it. Also, did you check on a very level plane, and allow 5 mins for oil to drain back into the sump? I always change my own oil, because then I know it was done right. I pre-fill the filter to avoid a wrong reading there, and still double check after running a minute or so.
Any new-ish engine using a litre of oil per 1000 miles doesn't sound normal, or acceptable to me. You would need to carry an oil bottle everywhere..!

#4 ·
The driver should be checking the engine oil level weekly anyway and keeping it topped up, some seem to think it goes between services without the need to lift the bonnet, this could be 19000 miles or a whole year.
A brand new engine can use more oil until its bedded in, thats why you have the running in period, run it in carefully and it will last and the oil consumption should then reduce, not running it in and using the full performance from the word go you risk ending up with an engine that never beds in properly. Unless youve had the car from new you never know how the car was treated during its first couple of thousand miles.

#5 ·
Topped up now

Right I have topped the oil up it has taken just under a litre so I wil see how I go .
How much oil should the average r53 mini be using ? I know all use different amounts but is there an average .

From reading other threads on this it appears I am doing well if im getting 2K between a litre of oil . :aargh:

Thanks for your replys

#6 ·
It varies. I drove to Devon and back. My oil was topped up to the full mark before I left London/Kent. It was quite a bit down when I checked it when I got back a week later. I carried a litre of oil in the boot at all times. Some weeks were worse than others. With my new car, I am not using so much and therefore keep the oil in the garage. As others have said, check it on a weekly basis and email your dealer to document the oil usage. You then have a copy if it starts to become ridiculously thirsty for oil.

#7 ·
Did you complain ? mine is still under warranty only had it couple of months so far I havnt had much luck power steering failed then cam tensioner went on me :( sounded worse than it was .
Dont know to go back and create with them . i love the car and I hate to moan just want it to run right and I know deep down I shouldnt be having to be topping it up this much
Im off back !!

#9 ·
I've had my R53 since new, September '02, and I'm nearing 90k miles on the odo. Initially, I saw no signs of consumption between oil changes, but now I probably add a half-liter per year.
Am I dreaming, or was the recommended oil change interval originally 25k miles? I saw that it was recently changed, for newer MINIs, to 10k, but swear I went over two years without an oil change (I know, I know . . .), and even then, the service light wasn't on yet.

#12 ·
I've had my R53 since new, September '02, and I'm nearing 90k miles on the odo. Initially, I saw no signs of consumption between oil changes, but now I probably add a half-liter per year.

Am I dreaming, or was the recommended oil change interval originally 25k miles? I saw that it was recently changed, for newer MINIs, to 10k, but swear I went over two years without an oil change (I know, I know . . .), and even then, the service light wasn't on yet.
Initial Oil Service for an R53 was at approximately 10K, then at approximately 15K intervals. I think service intervals are even longer for the R56.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.