engine management light - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Maintenance & MINI Care

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:45 PM
United Kingdom
engine management light

hi all,
i have a problem with my r56 s its an 07 ive covered 70k miles now. just the other day i was driving on the motorway at about 70-75mph the emmissions light flashes on n then it went off. but when i got off the motorway was driving at street speeds 30mph n the light came on again but now is constantly on.
ever since the light came on the car has been very very i mean extremely low on power has anybody else experienced this on theirs before? at times under hard acceleration the car had stuttered before on the motorway the emmissions light would flash and id hear a loud pop from the exhaust? im quite worried as it seems like problem after problem with this r56 i previously had an r53 only problem i had with that was the power steering pump failing.

Anybody any ideas what could possibly be wrong with the car?? I took it up to a local garage and he suspected that it could possibly be a coil pack failing on the 4th cylinder, went and purchased a new coil pack even changed all the spark plugs to new ones and still the problem exists!? He's suspects it could be the injectors failing and said it possibly needs a cleaning. I'm booked into mini on Friday that's the soonest they could see to the car. If it is the injectors that need cleaning what procedure do they do and what is the costing going to be any ideas??? Just seeks to be non stop problems I'm experiencing.

thanks.

Last edited by simonjai85; Dec 31st, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

to be honest it could be anything causing it, just changing parts with out knowing what wrong will cost you a load of money.

The only advice i can give you is if you or a family member are a member of the AA, RAC or similar give them a ring get them to come out, tell them your eml light is on and is in limp mod and is un usable, they will come round plug in there daig machine and pull off the code or codes.
then we have a good starting point if its something they carry they might be able to sort it then and there may be.
if not get the codes and some one here will be able to help out :-)

sometimes you have to clear the EML light to clear the fault it does not always go depending on what the fault is.
you could disconnect the batter and leave it of 10- 15 min then see if has cleared but it may come straight back on if you start or drive it

sorry i could not be more helpfull
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 05:18 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Always worth checking the Oxygen/lambda sensors are not faulty when EML comes on.......they can go out of spec with age or fail.
More here:
Lambda sensors / exhaust oxygen sensors
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 09:45 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Well I've had the car in the dealers today and they've had it diagnosed!! The service manager ri gs me back in the afternoon and tells me what I'd expected that there's a misfire but not in the cylinder that I thought was misfiring I suspected cylinder 4 but he's went and told me its 3??? So I'm a bit confused. Thing is now though I'm left without a car for god knows how long, as they're going to strip it down to do a compression test to try and get to the route of the problem but my main concern isn't being without the car but how much is this repair going to cost mme this time around???? As I've said I've had nothing but problems ever since getting the car. I've been reading around and this seems to be quite a common fault with the r56 people saying the high pressure fuel pump has gone or carbon build up??? Or even the timing chain. Well I've had both the timing chain and the hpfp changed but this time around it seems like something else. Any one any advice on goodwill by mini to help cover costs of repair????? My car is out of warranty now also and it really is such a pain to me that I've had nothing but problems with it?!?!

Upon receiving the call I even asked how much is it going to cost to strip it down that itself is. Going to be 300 so im actually getting quite worried as to how much this repair is going to ost eventually???
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

A misfire can be a few thing bad coil pack bad spark plug or injector bad fuel
If it was a misfire there should be a code P0304 cylinder 4 misfire.
Simple to diagnose did he tell you the code.
I would call them and set a limit on cost and get them to call you when they reach it make shore it's in writting if they wack you with a big bill you can say hold on a min.
As for the high pressure fuel pump just going to find you a thread have. Read of this it may help

http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenan...fuel-pump.html

He put pressure on mini and they done the pump for free so if it is stick with it

Hope this help hope it all works out all the best
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:19 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
thaks marque.

well mini got back to me hes done the compression tests it extremely bad news he says. theres low pressure on cylinder 3 but 4 has no pressure at all. so the problem is he suspects is sticking valves?? whatever that means but the cost would be in excess of 2k to fix. massive headache for me as ive mentioned this car has been nothing but absolute misfortune heres me thinking id change to this from my beloved r53 thinking id be saving on running costs etc etc but as it turns out the amount ive actually spent on the car is ridiculous. hes trying to get on to bmw for me to try n get somethng sorted because i even quoted the previous work that ive had to have done and theres no reason that the cylinders should fail??? i have previously had the hpfp done and i paid out of my own pocket for that. car is serviced upto date with mini themselves. ive had tbh nothing but bad luck with this car. from vandalism to mechanical all in all a very nasty experience overall im not trying to vent on but im extremely disappointed, ive been saying to the girlfriend next car im getting is the countryman but im really getting 2nd thoughts now and more to the point german engineering is it really as reliable as people are led to believe??? just stuck at the mo what should i do fix it n keep the car or fix it n rid it asap before something else goes wrong with it? ive gotta be honest though ever since the first time i had problems i was actually thinking on the back of my mind wonder when the light was going to beep at me again??? guess it didnt take long for the car to scream with the light. n this time its like it needs a heart transplant.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:03 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
300 to do a compression test?!
It only takes about 30 minutes to do max and just involves removing the spark plugs........it seems before buying any car out of warranty these days it is best to ask the Main Dealer hourly rates first if you ever intend to use them or don't have a good local independent garage who can do the work on your chosen make of car.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
wasnt just compression test they took the engine apart n stuff to take a thorough look at the inide.
all in all theyve quoted 3700 to fix!!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 11:28 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Go to an interdependent & it will cost you 1/2 their price. Shop about for quotes.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
There's good and bad news good news is the service manager got back to me he managed to argue with BMW to offer good will. It's taken him all went and a shed load of phone calls to them but they finally budged and agreed to offer good will.
Their offer is to cover all the cost of parts. But I have to contribute 1000 towards he labour costs! But I'm thinking is this BMW conceding that it is a problem with the engine they provided so meaning shouldn't they completely pay for the repair end of or shall I just settle with them agreeing to supplying all parts. For repair?
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Just an update picked the car up today. All smiles after 3 long weeks of waiting and arguing finally picked her back up!
Must say she's running smoothly yet again if not better than before hopefully since I've had all this work carried out there'll be no more worrying problems to sort mechanically! Anyhow my car consumed a hell of a lot of engine oil hopefully this will sort it all out also I've asked the guy he said it shouldn't be using this much he said on average it's 1litre per 800 miles? Even still I think it's excessive. But nevertheless I'm going to keep track of my miles and keep my notices to take back to the dealers if the problem still persists.
Effectively the service manager said I've had an engine rebuild more or less so not to drive the car hard for 1000 miles at least.

Cause of the problem he says strongly is because of crap fuel. But he was a bit stucke when I told him I only ever use v power which is the best fuel I can actually get around here.
Oh well least she's up and running again all be it my wallet has seemingly gotten very empty.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Right 4 months past engine management light on AGAIN cylinder 4 misfiring AGAIN!!!!!!! I thought I'd be covered under warranty thinking its the same problem again with the car the service guy tells me today it's unrelated this time the piston has broken? Any ideas people to what this means??? Is this a fault of the garage to why this has happened? They're getting on to BMW/mini again to see if they'll cover costs of repair but even if they do cover costs are they exacting me to for out 1500 for labour again? It's only been 4months since the last major repair!!!! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems with their beloved r56?
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:41 PM
Macguyvic

Local Time: 07:45 AM
United States Male
The Mini dealer I was working with here, before I got really bothered about their labor charges, warranties their repairs for 12 month and I think unlimited mileage. So your car's giving the exact same symptom but now it is a totally different problem. That's a bit hard to swallow.

I can't see in your posts what service was actually performed to get you up and running last time.

Also, I am not sure about the 07 but I am pretty sure on the 08 MCS there was a recall for the high pressure fuel pump. Mine was replaced free of charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement