MINI Cooper Forum banner

Where Did the Oil Go ? Newbie needs Advice

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tabintab 
#1 ·
Hello to the forum , post #1 !

I am a very new Mini owner (not a week yet). I bought a used 2012, low milage, dealer owned, Cooper Hardtop last weekend. It sure is fun to drive. I've been around vehicles long enough to know it wise to at least check the fluids ASAP. Coolant is OK, wiper washer is fine, but, I can not get any indication of oil level on the dipstick. The current dipstick design is not real easy to read but it should be at least wet. It's parked on a level floor. I tried it hot or cold. Nothing. It's hard to believe a reputable dealer would sell a car that low on oil so I am a bit uneasy about just poring more oil in. I've read that overfilling is a bad idea. I'd appreciate any tips or advice on the best way to proceed. As a newbie, I have lots more questions than experience.

#3 ·
Does the oil pressure warning light go out immediately on start up, does the engine 'rattle' as the oil pump struggles to find oil for the crankshaft bearings?
New clean oil is often hard to see so check the dipstick with a white paper tissue....any evidence of oil on it?

If in any doubt do not run the engine as serious bearing damage can occur.......seek advice of a local mechanic to confirm your findings. You may need him or others as a witness to take action against the Dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.