MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rear Brake Discs and Pads Replacement

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  marque 
#1 ·
Having done the above task many times before on different cars i have now completed it on our Cooper D . Quite a simple job with the right tools and the brake piston rewind tool makes life so simple .
Now the discs and the pads have been replaced and i have two problems
1. How is the Brake sensor fitted ?
2. How is the handbrake adjusted ?

As far as the first question is concerned the cable and sensor had been damaged and i was missing from the actual brake pad . I have installed a new cable but cannot get the sensor to fit how i think it should (yes i know i should have looked at how they go together before i installed them ) Can anyone advise how the sensor fits ?

Secondly the handbrake lever now needs to be pulled up very high and needs adjusting . I have done the usual search and have established thatt it might be more complicated , or not . Is it just a case of adjusting the nut under the handbrake boot or do i have to do something else as possibly suggested but never actually answered in the other threads ! I am sure it is just adjust the nut but i want to be sure

Great Forum :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi ya

Have a read of this link

Maintenance :: Changing REAR Brake Pads for Beginners! - North American Motoring

The sensor just pushes in to the slot in the outer rear right hand pad (if your using bmw pads) some aftermarket pads don't have the slot for the sensor. So people stow the sensor. The brake pad sensors are only on rear right and front left if that's any help.

Brake pads & rotors - should I change now?? - North American Motoring

Hand brake cable is adjusted just behind the handbrake so you have to remove the hand brake cover and trim

adjusting parking brake - North American Motoring

Hope this help you out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.