MINI Cooper Forum banner

Strange Braking Noise

12K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kushil 
#1 ·
Hi All, wonder if you can help. We have an 08 R56 Mini One 1.4, this has recently started to make a strange noise when braking.

The noise is from the Rear.

The best way I can describe the noise is its as if you are driving over rumble strips, this only happens when braking from around 20mph and gives a physical feel as though you are actually going over bumps aswell as the noise.

First thought was an egg in the tyre, but it doesn't make the noise/feel all the time only under braking, then I thought Brake Pads, it does grind a little but not all the time, are the wear indicators designed to make this feel/noise.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

#5 ·
I have a slight knocking noise that only seems to occur at sub 20mph speeds and sometimes when under braking too.

After spending a while underneath with a torch, I think its the rear anti roll bar bushes. At first look, the ones fitted at the moment look ok. However after buying some new ones from the main dealer for £8 a pair, if you compare the old and new ones, the old are definitely well worn and even the smallest amount of wear can cause a fair bit of play. I'm hoping that resolves my issue. May be a similar issue for you?

#7 ·
Warped Discs?????

Is there any chance the discs are a little warped? (how many miles ya got) I agree with another reply you got, make sure the pads are Mini pads or up to Mini specs/requirements & stats. The great pad and disc quality are one of the reasons why a Mini can brake so good and offer such great feed back to the driver via the pedal! Hope ya get it figured out... :nice:

#8 ·
Noises are hard or not.I would expect a brake issue to squeak not really noise or may be break pads are lose that's why the noise is emitted or may be its emitted in the tire..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.