Transmission Noise... - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male

DIY Transmission Noise...

So my R53 2005 Cooper S (6 speed manual) makes an interesting noise when I accelerate and let go of the acceleration pedal while in gear... kind of like a tin can rattling against something.

The odometer reads almost 84k miles, and I have no idea if the clutch has ever been replaced (probably not). Is the noise I'm hearing from the throwout bearing on its last legs or is it a sign of a deeper issue with the transmission?

In addition to those questions...

I would like to replace the clutch myself due to the INSANE price quote I got from the closest MINI dealer ($1700 USD! 2/10 of what I paid for the car). I've done it before (in a Toyota however), and being unfamiliar with BMW, what tools are required for that job?

Thanks!

--Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:36 PM

United Kingdom Male

The R53 Dual-Mass flywheels have been known to make a rattling noise when worn, so I would replace it along with the throw out/release bearing and the crankshaft rear main oil seal while the gearbox is out for the clutch replacement.

In the UK an R53 Clutch Replacement is around 550 fitted:
Clutch Kit Supplied & Fitted - R53. MINI - Servicing - Repairs - Tuning - Parts - Spares

Here is a useful DIY guide for R53 Mini Clutch replacement:
Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Clutch Replacement
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:36 PM

United States Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01uk View Post
The R53 Dual-Mass flywheels have been known to make a rattling noise when worn, so I would replace it along with the throw out/release bearing and the crankshaft rear main oil seal while the gearbox is out for the clutch replacement.

In the UK an R53 Clutch Replacement is around 550 fitted:
Clutch Kit Supplied & Fitted - R53. MINI - Servicing - Repairs - Tuning - Parts - Spares

Here is a useful DIY guide for R53 Mini Clutch replacement:
Pelican Technical Article: MINI Cooper - Clutch Replacement
Good to know. I had never heard a noise like that from a manual trans before. I'll be ordering a clutch kit soon from Pelican, I ordered some things there before and I loved it, but I hadn't seen that tech article. Thanks!

Any idea about how long the current flywheel would last? Is there some sort of imminent failure that comes after this noise? I'm not asking because I want to run it into the ground before replacing (that's just not smart), I just won't be able to get around to it for a few weeks.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2014, 09:07 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:36 PM

United Kingdom Male

The DMF flywheels can make an annoying rattling noise (usually heard at idle) for some time before replacement is essential, dual mass flywheels are basically 2 seperate flywheels linked together with springs and rubber to damp out vibrations in the drive train. However it is best not to ignore for too long.....also try to get confirmation the sound is due to the DMF before strip down as these flywheels are quite expensive to replace. Some owners have fitted aftermarket 'solid' flywheels but these can sometimes cause harshness, clutch judder and other problems.
The Mini DMF explained:
murmini - MINI Cooper Blog : The Dual Mass Flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.