MINI Cooper Forum banner

Water under the rear seats and in the boot

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  marque 
#1 ·
Hi there,

On Saturday I went into my boot to find the carpet was soaking wet and the tool well underneath full of water. I then went to take the boot carpet out and lifted up the rear seats to release it and under the seats were massive puddles of water too! No where else in the car seems to be wet or damp at all, including all if the inside of the windows or on the walls, I can't figure out where it's come from. It's clear and doesn't smell of anything so I assume it must be rainwater. I've since removed the seats and boot carpet to dry them out inside my house and I've tried pouring water over the car to see where it's coming in but none seems to be coming in.

Has anyone come across this before?

I recently had my power steering pump replaced and also at the same time I asked mini to get me a new rear wiper cap as the washer hasn't been working for a while. Mini then told me I actually need a new rear wiper motor. I decided it leave it for now as I can't afford it right now but I'm concerned perhaps when they took the rear inspection panel off maybe something wasn't put back right and perhaps water is getting in because of that somehow? or it could be completely unrelated.

Any help would be appreciated!

(This refers to a 2003 Mini Cooper with a double sunroof.)

I took it to mini to ask what they thought and they said it could be to do with the sunroof but they would have to spend some time figuring out where the water is coming from. Before I spend hundreds doing that I thought I'd ask on here first.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not sure that it is the high level rear break light - ive been monitoring it and today noticed that the top of the column above the rear left seat is wet on the roof material (pictured) and also the left hand seatbelt is wet, so I'm thinking water is somehow getting in and traveling down the seatbelt and therefore into the seat wells? If I pull the seat belt out most of it feels damp. But I still can't figure out where the water is actually coming in. I've also noticed the seal that runs all the way round the boot Is sometimes wet and has water inside it at the bottom (if I push it at the bottom water squirts out of the little holes that are presumably there for drainage). Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi ya

check you trunk lid seal is in correctly no tares or damage
check the trunking between the boot and the tailgate sometime the grommet comes out.
check you ariel is not loose and as the guys say sun roof drains, you can shine a torch up the hose with the tail gate open see if the hose is still on there

also a member has recently found sealant missing around where the tail gate hinge is mounted in the cars body so have a good look

hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.