possible electrical problem? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Maintenance & MINI Care

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittent sound problem with IPOD and AUX inputs dsmith Second Generation Interior & Ice 3 Jan 22nd, 2014 08:30 AM
R58 Electrical or Brake problem? topform Second Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Jan 7th, 2014 01:58 PM
'04 MCS complete electrical failure (and rear hatch problem) bdubya First Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Feb 3rd, 2013 03:58 PM
2003 mini cooper electrical problem gauges dont work SafetyMoose First Generation MINI Cooper 0 Jan 17th, 2013 06:39 PM
Weird Starting Problem - Electrical, Lock or Computer Maybe? Mrelia First Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Aug 18th, 2012 02:46 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 01:52 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:34 PM
United States
DIY possible electrical problem?

Today I decided to pop the mini open and have a gander at the air filter for some routine checking, as I know that it needs to be changed i wanted a gander at how much clutter was inside the housing for the air filter.

As i came out to unlock the mini i noticed that my sun roof had raised and slid itself open and the left window was down but about 3 inches. I thought at first someone had tried to break into the mini, as I know i didn't leave either open. The first time i went with that thought however second time coming out to check it (as i had left a tool inside) without keys in ignition, the coop is off, i return and yet again both are down, with key removed i try to raise and shut the window and close the sun roof, no reply, turn key and am able to shut both.

It seems to be at random and just started today, I pulled fuses and checked them, none are worn or burned out. I've since pulled each fuse in relation to both doors windows and the sunroof as well as interior roof light as it comes on too. I've no idea why this is, it must be a fault in the wire harness?

Might anyone help me to shed some light upon this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:34 PM
United Kingdom Male
Ive heard of this happening before not just on MINIs but lots of cars, seems to be either battery related or water getting into a control module?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
and now the rear hatch refuses to open, there is no key lock to manually do so, the control has ceased to respond and i have no clue how to open it at all.

update
I can find no emergency release or manual release for the back, i have pulled every fuse inside the car i can find and engine compartment as well, i don't even think there is a fuse for it. The manual/emergency release is supposed to be under the cushion of the right rear seat however i've got the 2 door coup and I cannot get underneath the seat as the seat doesn't have an underneath i can access.

This is becoming a nightmare, everything on it is failing at nearly the exact same time. it's a 9 year old car but it's behaving as though it's older, owner neglect can cause this but wowee!

Last edited by Joeytain; Mar 29th, 2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: update
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:42 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi

if you need to get the boot open lift up the rear seat there is a pull ring. That is your manual boot release.

Do you have a second key have you tried it ?

If you are having a lot of electrical problems you should first check your battery is heathy and make shore there is no excessive battery drain going on, and if it is all ok get your body control unit checked out

The body control unit controls most things electrical body wise, they do suffer from water ingress and corrosion in the plugs and the control unit it's self. This is due to a badly set up door/window or leaky grommets. Get the panel pulled off and the control unit checked out

Hope this helps
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:59 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
Quote: Originally Posted by marque (original)
Hi

if you need to get the boot open lift up the rear seat there is a pull ring. That is your manual boot release.

Do you have a second key have you tried it ?

If you are having a lot of electrical problems you should first check your battery is heathy and make shore there is no excessive battery drain going on, and if it is all ok get your body control unit checked out

The body control unit controls most things electrical body wise, they do suffer from water ingress and corrosion in the plugs and the control unit it's self. This is due to a badly set up door/window or leaky grommets. Get the panel pulled off and the control unit checked out

Hope this helps

only one key, latch unlock on it isn't responding at all. I cannot lift the rear seat it feels like i'm going to rip the seat apart, i can feel hard plastic beneath the cushion, is there a special area I'm missing? because i have been fiddling with it for awhile now and i'd rather not break or tear the seat up, i can fold the backs down just fine but the bench refuses to budge.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:18 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Joeytain (original)
only one key, latch unlock on it isn't responding at all. I cannot lift the rear seat it feels like i'm going to rip the seat apart, i can feel hard plastic beneath the cushion, is there a special area I'm missing? because i have been fiddling with it for awhile now and i'd rather not break or tear the seat up, i can fold the backs down just fine but the bench refuses to budge.

Hi ya

The seat base is clipped down the clips are about a hand width from your trim, push your hand under the seat about a hand width in and pull up it will go.
If you are unshore you my be able to slid you hand under the seat and get to the pull ring. It's roughly in the center of the seat about 12" backwards.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
I'll go have another go at it right now, I do appreciate the help, because without you guys I'd be lost for sure!

Update
Mixed feelings on this, i was able to get the seat to come up part way, found the release, pulled it, heard the action work.

Went to the back hatch, it had popped out a bit however still can not open it. no matter what i try it remains looked but FIRMLY latched.

This is quite a fail on mini (just IMO), I'd much rather have an actual handle on the back than an electronic switch to open it, plus a keyhole to lock/unlock it.

Last edited by Joeytain; Mar 29th, 2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: update
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:32 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

The car may have got confused with pulling fuses.

Disconnect your battery neg - first then positive + leave them for 30 min
The reconnect the poss first the neg

When I do it when they are both disconnected from the battery short the poss and neg together this kill off any power in the BCU but DONOT let the lead touch the battery
Then I leave it for 15 min to be shore then reconnect the battery
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
i'll go ahead and do that, hopefully you've got something there! I'll give you an update on how it goes once they are reconnected. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE

No dice, no change at all, i noticed when i tried everything again this time the rear left light side light and front left fog light are now staying on without shutting off, nothing works to turn them off except turning the car on then off.

This car is killing me.

Last edited by Joeytain; Mar 29th, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: update
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya :-(

Sounds like the body control unit to me then if you have a garage. You could try once again and leave the cars battery disconnected over night.

I would say get your body control unit checked out

Ps your body control unit is located in the opposite foot well to your fuse box, you will need to remove the door seal trim to get to it.
Disconnect the battery and disconnect the body control unit check the plugs for water and corrosion.

Just a thought did or does your car have a cd changer in the boot or is pre wired for one normally there mounted on the right hand Side of the boot have a look round to and have a look in the removable panel in the boot where you would change bulbs.
They have been known to get wet and cause problems worth a look

Feel your pain

Sort I can't be of more help
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 08:56 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
where exactly is that located? If i had a garage I would definitely, however I'm in an apartment in a neighborhood that isn't of the best caliber. Ah the poorer life.

What do you figure it will cost to replace?

i appreciate your help, so no need to apologize, you made an attempt to diagnose and you are probably right on it. Car does have a cd player, seems everything is stock, i'll be checking up on it and seeing about the corrosion. Gonna be a pain.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:03 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

they can be picked up second hand from ebay or a breakers but they will need to be coded to the car, which means a trip to mini :-(

If you know someone with a diagnostic tool that can run a full check on it I would do that first. Just Incase it's gone all cranky

But I would remove the trim and have. Look at the BCU first. it's in your passengers foot well just I front of the bonnet release lever behind the trim

Hope this helps
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:12 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
The problem you had first with the windows & sunroof opening is normally caused by faulty microswitches in the door lock actuator although it doesn't normally cause the other problems you are having so it could be the BCU as marque said, you need to check see if it has got wet. You could also try taking the drivers door panel off & disconnecting the electrical plug that goes into the lock actuator to see if your first problem still happens if it does I would say its most likely your BCU
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
i was reading up on it and people are saying that once coded to a car they cannot be used with any others! I'm hoping that that is not the case!

Update
I found that if i leave the fuse for the sun roof in the left window and sun roof will both open, at increments not all at once, if i leave just the fuse for the left window in but remove the sun roofs fuse then nothing bad happens. (right window cant roll down so i don't even have to worry about it)
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:20 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya cool

well sounds like your getting close it could be a bad fuse board they are known to fail.
Might be worth removing it and checking it out.
I know the ones under bonnet have problems with the tracks shorting out.
You may find it's the same problem, it may even be damp or corroded or a pushed back connector causing a short

Hope you get it sorted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,