New owner of 2007 MCS (R56) - Used car warranty? - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

United-Kingdom New owner of 2007 MCS (R56) - Used car warranty?

My wife has just put a deposit down on a 2007 R56 MINI Cooper S with 54,000 miles and full service history. That said the last two services were by an independent garage, which is fine providing they use the proper oil and parts. It will come with a 6 month warranty but it only covers up to 500 per claim.

I do have a question though, and that is whether anyone has found a used car warranty for this age? Someone suggested that we look at RAC or AA warranties but at around 30-40 per month I don't see it's worth while. We will probably use BMW / MINI servicing and I'll be doing my own oil & filter changes in between.

Given that it's 7 years old, is it worth buying a warranty? Can you even get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by l9nux View Post
2007 R56 MINI Cooper S with 54,000 miles and full service history
Normally, I wouldn't bother with a warranty on a 7 year old car.
However, as it's an R56 'S, YES, it's essential.

I presume you researched the problems with the engines (that has won 'engine of the year' every year since launch ) ?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

United-Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Normally, I wouldn't bother with a warranty on a 7 year old car.
However, as it's an R56 'S, YES, it's essential.

I presume you researched the problems with the engines (that has won 'engine of the year' every year since launch ) ?
Oh yes, done my research but also have two friends with R56's but hopefully we'll not have too much unhappy motoring!

So my big question is, what warranty companies have people used here in the UK? Any companies to steer clear of, or highly recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.