MINI Cooper Forum banner

TOTALLY BIZARRE! Help needed

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Whale 
#1 ·
My wife was sitting in line waiting for gas when she heard an audible "pop" from under the hood. Suddenly, the engine began running rough and nearly all of the dash indicators lit up.

After 30 seconds or so the engine died. She tried restarting it but it wouldn't turn over (as in the battery appeared to be dead).

I towed the Mini home and was able to start it up. Just as she said the engine ran rough (much like it wasn't timed properly) and most of the dash lights were blazing away. Eventually, the engine died and just as before it wouldn't turn over when I tried to restart it.

I was thinking/hoping it might be an electrical issue where the altenator isn't putting out enough voltage to run the computer, but that doesn't make sense. The engine would at least turn over . Perhaps, it's the battery somehow drawing down the electrical system, but that wouldn't make sense either.

The car is a 2005 Mini S.

I've done a forum search and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone heard of or experienced something like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
... Perhaps, it's the battery somehow drawing down the electrical system, but that wouldn't make sense either....
Well sounds as if 'Somethings' draining the battery's current to the extent where it can no longer sustain the energy required to supply the sparks/ computer.
How olds the battery? Your usually lucky if it lasts more than 6 years - probably something else causing the drain like faulty alternator or radio, but maybe worth checking out first.

#5 ·
It took me less than a minute to figure out the problem. One look was all it took.

The harmonic balancer or crankshaft pulley broke in half.

The rubber between the two halves separated completely and the pulley section was left dangling. This accounts for the "pop" under the hood that my wife heard last night. It also explains all of the indicator lights blazing away.

So now I'm off to search the net for a replacement harmonic balancer.

Thanks for the assistance. Hope this helps someone who encounters the same problem in the future.

#7 ·
I'm guessing that without the help of the alternator the battery had a limited duration. As the battery drained down the computer and the rest of the electrical system was running off a diminished voltage. Eventually, the voltage was so low that the computer simply couldn't function.

It's all speculation at this point. As soon as I receive and install the new ATI damper I'll know for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.