MINI Cooper Forum banner

Engine Oil consumption boy is the Cooper that thirsty?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  -ralph- 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on the following? Mini service are telling me a cooper will drink a litre an oil for every 750 miles and that a 3 litre add to a high mileage engine is normal.

For high mileage read a 2009 car with 35,000 miles on the clock which I'd argue is low mileage - I can't see why any modern engine would drink that much in 3 months am I being too sceptical or are they trying to sell me a pup ? Trying to decide how hard to complain thanks for your experiences

#2 ·
Yes some do use a lot, but I suppose it can depend on how its been treated, was it run in properly, has it been driven hard, was it serviced on time, does it leak, and these days they say average mileage is around 15000 a year so I suppose yours is low on that basis as it should be more or less around the 70000 mark so its only done around half what it might have done.
That said I dont put any oil in between services as it doesnt seem to go down, so who knows.

#3 ·
Many modern cars drink a lot of oil while the engine beds in. After that oil consumption should be very low so top ups between services should not be needed. Manufacturers will always say adding a lot of oil is normal just to avoid liability. I wouldn't keep a car that uses a litre every 750 miles that is just ridiculous. I agree 35k is low mileage, lots of engines will do 200k these days.

#4 ·
I bought a 2010 19k mile Cooper S in march, great car but 9 days after I bought it the oil check light came on... I pulled over and called the BMW support people as I thought something must be wrong- the car had used 3.5 litres of oil within 900 miles!!

Long story short (took me over 3 months to finally sort it out) I took the car back to Sytner in Sunningdale who after much faffing and testing concluded that there was nothing wrong with the car and that it was my driving style.

I then took it to Barons in Hindhead who were excellent and subsequently carried out just under £5.5k worth of warranty repairs!! Basically 3 of the 4 cylinders had become mis - shapen or something and were leaking air/oil.. They also decoked the head as apparently it was quite bad and did a few other things.

Basically - if you think something is wrong (as I did), don't take no for an answer and if its under warranty as mine was, don't be afraid to take it to other dealers and hopefully if there is anything amiss someone will find it eventually.

#5 ·
I've just searched for and found this thread as I have an R57 Cooper Convertible 2009 with 45000 miles on the clock. I also have a Toyota Avensis 2010 with 100,000 miles on the clock and two Triumph motorbikes and they use no oil whatsoever.

I bought the mini at 3 years old and have noticed oil consumption, but it normally does very little mileage, so its once every 3 months or so I top up.

I have just taken the Mini on holiday to Spain and done 2000 miles so far. Knowing it consumed oil I've checked it every few days, after long motorway runs at 80-90mph, and after days which have been hard on the engine, such as climbing through the Pyrenees mountains.

It has used about 750ml of oil.

Not excessive by the looks if this thread, but does anyone have any thoughts? Normal for a R56/57 engine? Lots of other people see this kind of consumption?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.