MINI Cooper Forum banner

New battery...AGM

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ExclusiveWorkshops 
#1 ·
Hello everybody.I ve just bought a Countryman S and i have to change the AGM battery.I tried to finf any possible information on this thread and i found only one guy who had replaced the old Mini(original) battery with an identical(Varta 175 euros)but not Mini.The problem is the registration of the battery in the car s software.There is a hugeeee difference in the price of these 2 batteries and i m trying to avoid the original one(300 euros).Is there anyone else who had tried this ?Thnaks.

#2 ·
The AGM battery is always more expensive. Although a standard battery will fit the car, I would resist the temptation to do it just to save money.

AGM batteries were used on 'in car' installations and don't leak acid if the car is rolled etc. The registration is a pretty simple thing, and you could probably have that done separately if you want to fit the battery yourself perhaps.

You can but AGM batteries from motor factors like Euro Car Parts, just confirm to them it is one. I personally, would charge it before fitting with a trickle charger.

#4 ·
I don't think you should avoid it, If I remember correctly, certainly with the bigger BMW's, the car adapts to the ageing of the battery, and alters the charging according to that, something like that. If you ignore registration, the car could be treating your battery as an older one, and shorten the life of it. It's not an expensive task, and an indy with Autologic can do it if you don't want BMW to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.