MINI Cooper Forum banner

Door Alignment

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SeaComms 
#1 ·
Hey folks have a question on adjusting the door alignment on my 2011 S. Was out and about today but at one stop I opened the door then a gust of wind blew it open all the way. Wasn't a anything strong but when I went to close it the alignment is now off by like a 1/8 of an inch. Just enough for this to hit the latch when closing so it doesn't close easily without giving some upward pressure.
So, question is, which bolts do I need to tweak to adjust the alignment?

#2 ·
Really surprised that this could happen as the hinge bolts are done up really tight in the factory unless the door has been removed at some time since it was built.

In the factory the door alignment and the welding of the hinges to the body shell is a critical part of the production process and one of the few bits of production where human beings are used to do the welding as opposed to robots. Once the bodyshell is painted the doors are removed and stored in the roof/upper floor of the factory whilst the complete car is built. The doors are only re-fitted in the last few yards of the production line and they go on really smoothly without any 'manual alignment'.

I'd personally be quite carefull in attempting to adjust the door alignment and wonder if this might best be left to a BMW workshop rather than trying to do it at home?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.