MINI Cooper Forum banner

Is it safe to attach a slow trickle charger to the battery?

16K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Have a 2008 Mini One, which I normally use on weekends. Worried about the battery dying slowly. Is it safe to leave a slow trickle charger attached to the battery during weekdays? Will it upset the electronics?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I have used ctex for a few years on classic cars with no problems ,would like to try it on the mini but as it starts o.k. its just the stop/start won`t work if it has been stood. Saying that I don`t like it anyway, it must add to wear and tear on the starter and ring gear.

#7 ·
Been using Battery Tender for years. Now have all my batteries on a multiple tender during the winter.

#8 ·
I must be dense, but I haven't seen an answer in plain English to the original question: Can I hook a trickle charger to the battery in my Mini while the battery is still connected in the car? The closest I read to an answer was the gent who said dealers do it in the showroom and bays. Is this something you've seen? Thanks for a Mini noob trying to keep his car going.

#9 ·
yes you can just leave a charger attached on charge at low amps,
better still below link costs nothing to run free electric and is so much more safe to leave on and forget about

#10 ·
HI fooyukvoon,

Having asked the same question myself (as I would be away for about a month), I heard Mike's advice and got me one of these AA essentials solar-powered battery chargers. I left it on for a month -it connects on the car's OBD, which is cool 'cause you can leave it and forget it (literally)- and I found the car's battery in a great condition when I got back from holidays. Below is a pic of how it looks. If you don't want it lying in plain site, you can leave it attached on the back window, and trust me you can't see nothing (plus the cable is long enough to put it wherever you want anyway) :)

#12 ·
HI fooyukvoon,

Having asked the same question myself (as I would be away for about a month), I heard Mike's advice and got me one of these AA essentials solar-powered battery chargers. I left it on for a month -it connects on the car's OBD, which is cool 'cause you can leave it and forget it (literally)- and I found the car's battery in a great condition when I got back from holidays. Below is a pic of how it looks. If you don't want it lying in plain site, you can leave it attached on the back window, and trust me you can't see nothing (plus the cable is long enough to put it wherever you want anyway) :)

View attachment 275505
i got a garage unit that has no 240v electric so i put 4 of those solar cells one on each battery ie 4 battery's and then use a 5000 watt inverter than clicks 24volt to 240volt and runn all my lights and battery chargers off it or hook up to any car i have left in there lets we use lights for 15 hours at anyone time easy, takes a day to charge them back up as inverter set to only go down to 19volts before shut down as such, i like free electric been thing at home of sticking a load of AGM batteries and couple big inverters and run things like washing machine and spa pool and some sockets in the house, ie i get 100% of the power where if put solar panels on roof that feed in to house fuse board the electric company gets a share, think i might be ok if i only use roller cable extension leads from out side in that are independent fused etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.