MINI Cooper Forum banner

When is the Chain Cam due on a Mini Cooper S JCW (2004) ?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ExclusiveWorkshops 
#1 ·
Can someone please advise when the chain cam's are due for change on my 2004 JCW (R53)? I've done 110,000 miles now all is running fine, just can't see anything in the book advising when this should be changed.

I recall reading something about chain cams being good for at least 120,000+ miles if the oil is changed regularly.

Any help appreciated! Thanks

#2 ·
If your referring to the sprockets, you would change those with a new chain, If your referring to the cam shaft, if it is showing wear and by measuring bearing clearance with plastiguage, if its outside of the maximum tolerance. If you don't have chain rattle then I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 ·
I have the same tapping/rattle that has just started to occur on startup from time to time, Change the timing chain tensioner as they do wear and see if this fixes it, if it doesn't then its an indication you either have worn guides or the timing chain is due for replacement along with the sprockets.

Have a look at this video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JZNG1uVVo4

#8 ·
There isn't a change interval, if you have noises check the tensioner, and change the oil perhaps anyway. If the chain guides are breaking up, bits will clog the oil pickup, and other work will likely be required. It would be good value to renew the chain kit at your mileage, and check the oil pick up, plus big end shells or renew them, all while there is no failure. Very affordable prevention maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.