MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 Mini Cooper vs Mini Cooper S reliability?

14K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a R56 mini as my next car that I plan to keep for a long time. Currently I've found two good cars, one is a 2009 Mini Cooper and the other is a 2008 Mini Cooper S. Both have around 70k miles, and both are in good condition. I prefer the MCS by a lot, but I'm concerned that the relibailty will be much worse compared to the standard MC because of the turbo. Is this true or are they about equal in relibailty?

#2 ·
well I had a cooper no issues really, now got a r56 cooper s nothing but trouble, timing chain, turbo pipe splitting , not fitting right, alternator belt snapping. front scoop on bonnet warping with heat. boot button breaking. don't get me wrong I love the thing and is nice and fast. but every time I fix something feels like something else breaks. I might just have a bad one I guess.

#8 ·
With all due respect a Cooper S would kill your wallet with insurance premiums. Also a Cooper S in inexperienced hands is lethal (not wishing to sound patronising) to yourself and other road users. I'd maybe focus on buying a Cooper and an R50 at that as they are great starting blocks, easy to maintain and much more reliable than any N14 powered R56 ::wink::

#13 ·
K3fus, I think your missing the entire point here. Do you think its really wise having an inexperienced driver take to the controls of a 170+bhp car? I quite agree that not all young drivers are bad but experience is something you gain over time and with age. It's always better learning to walk before you run that's basically all I'm spelling out, something which we have covered before in here....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.