MINI Cooper Forum banner

Stiff gear stick side to side - 2004 Mini one

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi There,

I've got a mini one 2004 and the gear stick has become incredibly stiff side to side. You can change gear easily 3rd-4th 1st-2nd but sideways (4th-2nd) is becoming really difficult. I had a new gear box, new clutch and new linkage last year. Any help really appreciated.

#3 ·
Many thanks for the response. As the linkage was replaced before Xmas I think the lubrication route might be worth a look. I read on another forum that there are 'switching' parts at each end? One under the bonnet and one under the gaitor? Any instruction where to look (what tools I need) and what lube to use would be a real help. Thanks again...

#4 ·
If your looking to access the linkages in the gear shift, not only will you be removing the gator but you will need to drop the exhaust section from the Cat to the muffler and also the heat shield up to the front of the car. Not a difficult job but a second pair of hands is helpful when dropping the muffler. There are two ball and socket connections on the gearshift that contain plastic bushing in the socket so be careful not to damage the sockets as once they are damaged/worn, the cable will drop off the ball joint. You will also need some hex key sockets to drop the actual gear shift housing from the car body. To remove the gearshift and housing, both linkage cables from the gearbox, clean and repair or replace with new and refit to back on the road should only take 45 mins to 1 hr max with basic tools and the car supported on jack stands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.