MINI Cooper Forum banner

Torque Settings

13K views 102 replies 7 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
Just a quick question I am looking at removing the lug nuts that are on my car and I am replacing them with a full set of locking wheel nuts from BMW.

Can anyone tell me the correct torque setting for both the lug wheel nuts and the locking wheel nuts please.

Thanks

Rob

#6 ·
Get yourself a set of axle stands too as its always safer to have a car supported on these when working on it. Never trust a jack! 17mm socket is the size you need for your nuts and use a 1/2" drive socket on a breaker bar to crack them off and never apply copper grease to the wheel nut threads ;)

#10 ·
Halfords should have what you need but check out Machine Mart too Rob as they can sometimes be cheaper! I have a few Torque wrenches but one is specifically for wheels and is set to 110 and the others are for engine work etc, I think they are Clarke's? My breaker bars are a mixture but mostly Sealeys and one Halfords Professional

#13 ·
The Halfords range is good and that trolley jack deal is good plus its a nice low jack which is perfect for the mini. If you get yourself a lump of wood about 1 1/2" thick by about a foot long you can jack the car off the sill and use the axle stands on the jacking points. Just make sure the lump of wood is tight to the inner lip of the sill. You can fire up one side on axle stands in one go using this method :)

#19 ·
I currently own 4 breaker bars all draper

One of them is bent (anger)

But the other 3 are a ok

Famex a German online tool supplier very good quality. and Halfords professional are my brands of choice.

Also have a sealey jack

And 4 silverline jack stands 3ton per pair.
Also good quality.

#26 ·
#30 ·
£25 for something that is effectively useless. Fools easily part with their money I guess!
I'm sure mine was a fiver, I think I just need another older version of the Halfords trolley jack :big_grin:

Only got my Halfords 200 piece socket set last week. But I have watched some Mod Mini videos on Youtube
No offence, but now you're scaring me.
Everyone has to start somewhere, but I'm saying you're scaring me because I've seen your previous posts :big_grin:

#31 ·
I have narrowed the breaker bars to either one of those Sealey ones or the Halfords one either 18" or 24" as the lifetime guarantee is superb.

One more question regarding the trolley jacks is the one from sgs engineering okay? And for Torque Wrench Halfords Professional Torque Wrench...

But I have read that Norbar are supposed to be the best, but a little but pricey for just myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.