MINI Cooper Forum banner

Limp Mode :(

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bilbo 
#1 ·
Hey guys

So this one has me stumped!!!

A few days ago I got a light on my tachometer for the "engine malfunction" and I lost some power/ my car went into limp mode. few minutes later the car picked up again and all was well! It happened a few more times and the ijit light came on. The code is pointing towards the knock sensor.

Now I called up Detroit Tuned and they said I may have bad gas, I don't think this is the case after doing a few tests, and adding quality fuel.

I have had this problem before a couple months ago, so I changed the spark plugs and the problem was solved.

I plan on draining the tank this weekend up to the cottage, after that I will know if I need to check the knock sensor. Any other points to check?

#4 ·
You may get in to it with a long spanner and a thin hand but I usually put them in t front end service mode which takes about 10 minutes and pull the radiator forward for better access and if the cps o ring hasn't been changed in a while I usually change that too as they cost pennies

#5 ·
Hi guys I bought a mini cooper 3 days ago 17 plate,1.5 deisel,I was on motorway and went into limp mode and came up on dash drivetrain malfunction,I rang garage I bought it from says they not open now til 4 January,this has happened 4 times and IV only driven 60 mile in it,any advice thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.