MINI Cooper Forum banner

Improve Ride

10K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  NigelK 
#1 ·
I know Minis are not known to be soft cars. But is there any way I can improve the ride. My just feels a little harsh. Also using non run flats tyres.

#7 ·
The only other I would be aware of is Coilovers as a kit with matched springs but I would caution against lowering the car as they only have 4" of travel as it is and its not really worth it to lower the vehicle. I use Coilovers on the R50 with the suspension set on medium. The reason I have coilovers I sthat my R50 is 02 and has the old style front suspension which doesn't mushroom the shock mounts on the front but no one makes shocks for them as they use a Z droplink instead of the later L droplink so to change all that's required for the later style shocks, it was cheaper to install coilovers as a complete kit as the spring mounts etc are totally different on the early pre 04 Mini's

#10 ·
That is interesting Milpol. I'm thinking of fitting the Koni FSDs to my R53.
Current run flats have got to go but the fronts are decent tyres, Pirelli PZero practically new (previous owner put them on). They aren't too bad but I need to wear them out.
Backs are crap - Marshal Matrac FX (FU?) MU11s. They were on the front. Ghastly. Massive improvement putting the PZeros on the front. I had a serious alignment done (on a Hunter) as it was torque steering and camber following like a beast. Big improvement.
I've never tried FSDs but they get a pretty good shout on many forums. No doubt the 'coilie' peeps will scoff. I hate coilies.

#11 ·
My R53 is on stock suspension but pulls left with runflats on o hopefully over xmas new year I will be replacing all ball joints and bushing and hopefully it will improve. Cant see why its torque steering after having an alignment as I hardly plant the boot yet the R50 has always diven in a straight line regardless of suspension (coilovers or standard) and tyres. Time will tell.

#31 ·
Koni FSDs FTW

Also, if anyone is still on runflats, don't complain about the ****** ride quality. Put proper tyres on.
Johnnyc, this threads been 'dead' for a while. I've bitten the bullet, based on your and all the advice on MINI2. And had the RFs replaced yesterday with normal tyres. Still 205/45/17s on 2005 R53.
The difference in ride quality is really amazing. So much better. Haven't had them long enough to fully assess the affect on handling, except I've noticed the turn-in is slightly less sharp/instant. I think it's the wall flex, because they are much less rigid. I've got them at 33 psi. Will put them up to 36 psi, see if that improves it.

#14 ·
My R50 is on standard shocks/ springs and it has Goodyear Excellence tyres fitted on the front (previously Bridgestone) and the ride is perfect. Not too harsh and not too soft either!

Both my Cooper D Clubmans have standard suspension and again Goodyear Excellence tyres and the ride on they cars is spot on

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

#15 ·
The front toe was about 7 degrees out when the alignment was done. The camber following has gone with that and the PZeros. I would expect some torque steer/fight putting 170bhp through the front wheels in a relatively small car. When you really boot it. It was uninsured for a while while I hunted around but I've been driving it a lot for the last week. It has taken some getting used to but it gets better as you do. Mine has the OEM LSD fitted. Not sure if that improves or creates more torque steer.

#34 ·
Apart from the ride quality the nearly new Pirelli P Zero RFs were very good. Very stable, excellent 'pointyness' and turn-in, composed handling, good direction change, never broke traction even in wet out of corners with welly, assured feeling.
The new standards don't feel quite as sharp somehow. But I wouldn't trade it for the improvemnet in ride.
Will tell you if I think the slightly increased psi is noticeable or makes any difference.
The boss guy in the indy tyre place who fitted them had them at 36 and I asked him to drop them to 33. He was a reasonably car enthusiast kind of guy, Audi RS6 Avant (500-odd bhp motor?) with a Milltek non-res fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.