MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Cooper N18 noisiy engine?

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm Bjorn from Australia. Been a long time lurker and always liked mini's but finally decided to buy an R55 as a load lugger for my mountain bikes and trips to the hardware store.

I have been searching for a while and finally struck a fair price on a 2010 pre LCI car but the first of the N18 engines with only 34,000k's on it. All seemed good until i went today. After starting the car, it seemed quite noisy, almost like a diesel, which makes me wonder if the timing chain issue also exists on N18's? as a comparison I then went to a look at an R56 (all be it N14, which also seemed a little noisy, but not as clangy as this one).

can anyone please just take a listen to this video and let me know if this is normal for an N18? as I'm not really that familiar with Mini's.

Thanks in advance

Looney

NB: The forum wouldnt let me post the video, in Youtube it is named

"Mini Clubman R55 N18 Motor Noise, Timing Chain? "

by youtube account

Looooooney

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the swift reply Milpol. unfortunately as I'm sure you're aware the selection of cars here in Aus is smaller than we would usually like :/ but just to be clear (as reading between the lines is not my strong suit) this is a car to pass on because it doesnt sound right?

#5 ·
Yup Loony, I am well aware of the lack of choice here in Oz and the availability of a diesel unfortunately is the reluctance of Australians to purchase them due to an antiquated attitude compared to the UK and Europe. That being said, there may be some around but difficult to obtain. Its a pity that they never did the R55 in a Gen 1 variant but if you have unusual noise around the timing chain area or turbo, walk away every time, eventually you will find a better unit as the issues on a Gen 2 petrol can be a nightmare at best if you get one that has not been maintained.

#7 ·
One can argue until you run out of breath about the N14 timing chain issue but in the end it all comes down to one thing, if its got a rattle, stop driving it and get it sorted. Its the same principal for the N18. The tensioner on the original N14 was shorter in its full extension than the replacement (if memory serves me its the same component on the N18).

What I have never seen and am unaware of is a service schedule to measure the amount of timing chain stretch in the PUG engines. If you own the camshaft locking tool set, it comes with the measuring tool so one would think it would be prudent to measure the amount of chain stretch at a given mileage. This would allow preventive maintenance to be completed and therefore replacement of the timing chain and associated components resulting on no loss of timing to the engine and of course, the associated damage caused by neglecting or ignoring this item when warning signs are obvious.

Things to consider would be, has an N14 had the updated tensioner installed, any dealership should be able to confirm this from the VIN # as its held on a central database. A service history may not show this as its not a service item, what you need is the workshop history that's gained from a dealer with the VIN # (this wont have any details of an independent repair). It would be prudent to check things like timing chain stretch on purchase of a Gen 2 with an N14 motor, its not a difficult job and a Haynes manual more than covers the procedure. Peace of mind at least!

Another thing to consider is, as any SH vehicle is an unknown, be aware of the common issues associated with the model, can you do self repair or maintenance, what would the likely cost be from a workshop, what can you do it for ? Its a given you have a budget for a vehicle purchase but knowing the common issues, do you have a secondary budget for repairs should an issue occur in the first 24 months of ownership.

Consider a clutch, you have no idea of how its been used (previous owners driving style) and how far off it is from being worn out, at the time of purchase there would be no indication of any issues but 4k miles/km later, your up for a new clutch.

Its always buyer beware and the key word is "beware", what can you do yourself, how much are you willing to pay to have work done and are you prepared to get things fixed and lastly, do you have the additional budget. Sadly the BMW Mini is a princess but with TLM (tender loving maintenance) it should reward you as they really are great little cars. :)

#8 ·
Thanks Milpol,

i've been researching for a while and have decided i'll be staying away from the N14 cars all together leaving me the later model cars with the N18.

Issues I'm aware of include

Timing Chain tensioner
Water Pumps
HPFP
Clutches (Apparently $3k)
Buildup on valves (apparently not as bad on the 18's as the 14's)

and then just routine things that happen with cars. I'd happily buy a new one if they still made an R55 clubman, but unfortunately the new one is a big barge of a car and I like the small size of the R55, yet still has a large enough rear to fit my mountain bikes or to go to Bunnings to load stuff in the back. The barn doors are also cool.

I really thought this car was the one with only 34k's on it, but I'm guessing i have to keep looking. it sucks here in Australia though as you know, there is very limited stock available, especially if you're quite specific on colours.

Thanks again for your input it's greatly appreciated.

Looney :D

#9 ·
It frustrates me to be honest, the cost of parts either from BMW or from 3rd party retailers here in Oz, whilst I don't deny someone making a profit (that's why they are in business) but at times the pricing is outrageous so I import parts from overseas for repairs where practical. I own 2 Gen 1 Mini's and due to both age and previous neglect I have done a fare bit of work on both cars long with preventative maintenance. Whilst it would be great to not have to spend the money, I made sure I had a contingency fund, especially on purchase of the second car. Sadly, these cars can see a fair bit of neglect and are often sold to get rid of issues on unwary purchasers, when I purchased my second Mini, I went over it with a fine tooth comb, offered 65% of the asking price and walked away from the car, the owner called me back and accepted my offer (would have known the cost of repairs). I saved a fortune on DIY and the biggest expense was a new clutch t this point in time and car is close to 200,000 kms. I had BMW pull the workshop history from the VIN and the litany of woes would have made any sane person run for the hills. Non of this was covered in the service books (I'm the 3rd owner) and all service stamps were up to date. The vast majority of the workshop issues were due to poor service technicians (wont call them mechanics), and shoddy work practise. I like SeanC have had to correct all the shoddy work practice preformed by a dealership but have saved a small fortune in doing so. There are probably some good N14 engines out there, its just a gamble when you purchase one. The valve coking issues I think are avoided by decent long drives and also an oil catch can due to them being direct injection.

To add to your list is cracks in the valve cover and I have been told by someone in the know about a vacuum can (cant think of the correct name) that when it breaks, it jams a component that will stuff the valve timing (like a failed timing chain).

So, all this being said, there are a lot of Gen2 Mini's still on the road ! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.