MINI Cooper Forum banner

Help!

2K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  Roadrunner6623 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Cooper Clubman D. I went to look at one yesterday and all was good except for a dodgy looking homemade gasket to the top right, between the block and a metal circular/drum thing! Problem is I can't work out what it is. There was rather a liberal amount of black sealant all over the joint, I would really like to buy it but am nervous of if this is a bodge or something that's easy to rectify. I have a photo but can't work out how to upload it :/
Any advice much appreciated.

#6 ·
Thats the air intake pipe for the turbo. It's generally not a tight fit and can rattle about. I suspect that the previous owner may have tried to tighten it up. I have my air intake pipe and strapped to the air filter intake pipe with cable ties on my 2 Cooper D's purely to stop it rattling about at idle.

#10 ·
Thanks for your help Sean. It's an 08 Clubman Cooper diesel, 132000 but with a full service history. Seems to be a nice spec, panoramic roof, Bluetooth, cruise control, half leather and sport button. There a little rust on the barn doors but generally good bodywork. It's only £2500 though...which seems pretty good to me? Just worried about this black sealant that's clearly not an original fixture!

#11 ·
My advice would be to buy it!

The part I think your describing is the vacuum pump click here these can be bought for £40 secind hand on ebay if its knackered but I seriously doubt it will be knackered and all you would need is a new gasket/ sealing ring which will probably be pennies to buy see diagram

You will be amazed at what corners folk cut when it comes to maintenance. The 1.6 Hdi is a good strong unit buddy and I've ran that engine for years in various cars! One of my Clubmans has 135,000 on the clock and all I've done is rebuilt the turbo as part of my preventative maintenance program!

Photo from my car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.