MINI Cooper Forum banner

03 Mini Jumping out of Reverse

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
My son has a 2003 Mini Cooper, manual transmission with about 95,000 miles on it. When shifting into reverse it pops out continuously so that reverse is really unusable at this time. Prior to that I could get it to stay in reverse, but it had a clunking sound when it was rolling backward even when the clutch was in. All forward gears work perfect and the clutch is engaging perfectly as well. Is there a simple fix to this that someone with modest mechanical skills can fix? My son is a broke college student and if I can't fix it he'll be using the car without reverse for a while.

#2 ·
could check the cables if gone slack with wear this will cause zero resistance with linkage but fact its making a clicking noise its more like gearbox on last legs, might be the selector fork in gearbox ie where cables attach

#3 ·
This is a common problem with the Midlands box.

Its either the linkages on the top of the gearbox, look for play.

or more than likely its internal wear which again is a common issue.

if its internal get the gearbox rebuilt, used 2nd hand midlands boxes usually have problems of their own...

#4 ·
#12 ·
stbird, may pay to get in contact with John Tee in the UK !

mini gearbox, gear fix - Mini recon gearboxes | BMW MINI cheap gearboxes

He has affiliates in the USA and is very helpful in supplying rebuild kits and can also supply you a PDF manual for the Gearbox.

Sorry to hear your Mini is a money pit but I would say that's the result of **** poor prior maintenance by previous owners and gross neglect.

Don't know if you have ever seen the videos on YouTube by Modmini but if you can DIY they are very helpful for Gen 1 variants and can save you a lot of money.

Pelican Parts also have some very good DIY tutorials on their website.

Once your Mini has had the neglect corrected, I think you will find its a gem of a car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.