MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Safely Lifting 09 (UK) Clubman

Morning Folks,

I have tried a search in here for info on how to safely jack my wife's 09 MCS Clubman (UK) and can't find anything.

I have a very good quality trolley jack, and would like guidance on the safest and stable point to jack it up. I need to take the alloys off and give them a proper clean as it is new to us.

Many thanks.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:06 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

United Kingdom

If the trolley jack has a reasonably large lifting pad/cup, you will find it fits over the bottom of any of the four lifting points under the sills - these are black plastic boxes, maybe 2" deep, that stick down from the sill and they have a recess that the car's screw jack fits into.

Except if you scrape these lifting points off by driving over rough ground (as I have done), they seem to be extremely secure, even if they are only plastic.

If you jack the one behind the front wheel high enough, the front and rear wheels will both come off the ground.
Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:12 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Err, it dawns on me that you have said Clubman, in which case the front jacking point may well not lift the rear wheel too - I don't know.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Lightweight

Local Time: 02:54 AM

United States Male View ravioliworld's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I like to throw a piece of lumber under the sill inbetween the two jack points. Jack placed midway down the door. Lifts both front and rear wheels, and you can place jackstands under the actual jacking points. Lumber helps to spread out the load and prevent the jack from damaging the sill.

blergh
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:54 AM

United Kingdom

Well finally had some time when it wasn't raining, so created some hardwood inserts for the OEM jacking points and successfully lifted the Clubman.

Great start managed to get the first wheel off fine, cleaned it up as best as possible, outside fine, inner part of the wheel was in a very bad state. Did my best in the limited time I had.

Then the bad news, couldn't manage to get the rear off of the hub, even used a tyre fitters sand filled hammer to try and free it. No joy and I could only hit it so hard whilst up on the trolley- jack. So looks like I will need to get a pro to sort that on a proper lift.

So I continued with the car back on the ground - to find that a really bad touch-up job had been done to sort the wheel damage for sale. I could feel the moment I got the polish on a matt finish at the edges. They had blended it into the shadow line on the wheels. So not to impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.