MINI Cooper Forum banner

Split doors will not open

27K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
I've had a search around on here but can't find anything that fully relates to my problem. The split doors on our Cooper D Clubman, 2009, will not open. They were fine earlier today, but when my wife opened the right hand door, instead of the sort of quiet hiss that usually comes from the hydraulic arm, she said it made a noise more akin to a cow mooing. She closed the doors again and after shopping tried to open the door with the keyfob remote. It just makes a grating/whirring sound and the doors remain locked. The same happens when you try to open the door manually with the handle. Any ideas out there? I'm guessing the hydraulic arm is knackered but I'm open to any other suggestions. Just paid an arm and a leg for a new clutch so don't really want to take it to a garage again any time soon.

#2 ·
Hi Martin and welcome.

Firstly its a common problem and secondly it's an easy fix.

Open the drivers door and look at the bottom of the club door, there you will see a little black egg shape of plastic at the bottom of the door. Pop a flat blade screw diver in between the edge of the egg shape thingie and lever it gently as this is what releases the door. Once you move the wee egg thingie the door will open. Then once open douse the egg (and behind/ inside it) with WD40 and also douse the catch on the top of the door. The dealers have a habit of not oiling these up because they are as thick as mince!

Hope this helps and report back buddy.

#3 ·
Thank you Sean but I think my post was a bit misleading. By split doors I meant the tail doors at the back, not the driver and club doors. It's the back ones that wont open. Thank you for your advice, but I don't suppose you have anything to add re rear doors, do you? :)

#4 ·
Hi Martin, the split doors are called "Barn Doors". I've picked you up wrong, sorry.

Right, it sounds to me like the strut has failed and its holding the door shut. The rear panels for the doors will/ should still pop off when closed so if you can get inside here you may be able to tease the lock. At this moment in time I'd suggest using a bit of force. If you can have an assistant pressing/ pulling the handle on the outside you could try nudging the door from the inside. My ram failed about a month ago and fortunately I still managed to open the door but it was tight until I disconnected the ram. I ended up replacing the pair with brand new ones that I ordered on ebay from Lithuania. keep us updated bud and if this doesn't work then we can try and think of another solution

#5 ·
Ok. Thanks Sean. I'll see about trying to open it tomorrow. Will I be able to close it again and make secure before investing in a new ram. Speaking of which, I assume you bought from Lithuania because they are, like everything else Mini related, bloody expensive over here?

#6 ·
Correction, it was Latvia I bought them from click here. I suspect that your strut has broke at one of the locating points, either on the door or the body of the car. If you can get the door open and ram removed then the door will function again but it won't stay open. I ran about for 2 weeks without a ram and it didn't really bother me and it takes seconds to fit the new ones (they just pop on) I bought mine from Latvia as they were only £27 for a pair and here in the UK folk were wanting £30 for second hand ones that will no doubt be weak and not as rammy lol. These rams are correct for the car and probably OEM too!

#7 ·
Think I just found some cheapish ones from Germany, £19.86 FOR 2 plus £9.50 p&p. Don't recognise the manufacturer YOU'S, but then again, I didn't recognise the manufacturer of your Latvian ones either until I found the same brand available from Mr Auto, £10.70 each plus free p&p.

Sms they got cheaper. Which ones to go for though? Hmmmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.