Any experience with tuning chips? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Cooper Diesel

MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Luxembourg Male
Any experience with tuning chips?

Has anyone got any experience with Pro-Bitz tuning chips for the Cooper D?

More info here:
Diesel Chip Tuning By Pro-Bitz - More Power & Fuel Economy

I'm in a small European country with no access to some of the tuners like p-Torque and my budget is a little limited so I'm looking for something less "hard-core" if you will. I realize the quote figures aren't exactly realistic, but even a little bit more "punch" would be interesting for me.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience/opinions/input, etc... with tuning chips and their diesel engined coopers. I suspect the "magic" is that the chip increases the amount of fuel injected during each cycle but I'm not too concerned about thermal stress as diesels are quite robust engines.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:44 AM
United Kingdom
Hi I have had two tuning boxes now from DTUK and have nothing but praise for them, very helpful even after hours. Good results and different boxes available....go and have a wee look on their website......;-)
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:44 AM
United Kingdom
The Italianbox

Hi well I have just fitted a tuning box off ebay from Italianbox for £60.
The first time I fitted it the car would not start and they sent me a different plug lead and said 5% on Minis are different. New one was fitted today and drove dwn road and no difference. Then kept tweaking up till engine light came on. Turned scew back restarted and did this till max power was acheived without light coming on. It pulls much harder, wheelspins in 2nd easlily and turbo gets up and goes, feels like my old Audi tdi now. I will keep an eye on mpg but it pulls much more lively and does work as the guy at work has 2 cars fitted with one. The plug is a ***** on the Mini to get to but there is a video on youtube to show correct location. If anyone wants more details let me know.
Andy.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
MINI2 Senior

Luxembourg Male
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'd definitely be interested in more info, especially where the rail sensor plug is on the Clubman/Cooper D (I've got the 2009 PSA engine, not the BMW engine).

Any idea why the engine light came on?

Quote: Originally Posted by andy1acars (original)
Hi well I have just fitted a tuning box off ebay from Italianbox for £60.
The first time I fitted it the car would not start and they sent me a different plug lead and said 5% on Minis are different. New one was fitted today and drove dwn road and no difference. Then kept tweaking up till engine light came on. Turned scew back restarted and did this till max power was acheived without light coming on. It pulls much harder, wheelspins in 2nd easlily and turbo gets up and goes, feels like my old Audi tdi now. I will keep an eye on mpg but it pulls much more lively and does work as the guy at work has 2 cars fitted with one. The plug is a ***** on the Mini to get to but there is a video on youtube to show correct location. If anyone wants more details let me know.
Andy.

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi well if you look up "Mounting racechip in Mini Cooper D" and you will see a guy fitting one. Different make but same place. My engine is the same as your one so same fitment. The rail sensor as you look down at the engine is on the right hand side of engine down the bottom. You can just see the end of the plug. There is a company that makes an extension for £20 which makes it easier to swap back. The plug is a pig to get off. Guy in video makes it look easy. I could not release it so my son became the guinea pig fitter. You have to use your left hand, lift clip on top of plug with the edge of your finger and pull, thats the only hard bit. Very carefully connect other part of plug as I bent pins at first but ok after straightening. The first plug did not work and I nearly gave up but they said 5% of Mini plugs are different but they sent a different one free of charge of course and going well. Today mpg seems to have improved by 3 mpg and started well and still put a smile on my face. The feedback on fleebay for them is very good with 6k sales plus. I would not want anymore power so dont see the point of paying more. I have researched and know some boxes are crude resistors but if it improves power, mpg and does not pour out black smoke out the back then happy days. The leaflet says that the engine light may come on on max but once I tweaked it back all is well and the light goes out straight away once you turn off completely and restart, 3 quarters seems to be just right. If you need more info let me know. You will read many opinions so I just wanted to try myself. I presume a remap may bring turbo in earlier, my power comes in at the same time but lots more of it. The interesting thing is my lad has the same car an 07 as well but before tune his power comes in lower but he got in his after driving mine and said his feels like a dead duck now. If you are in London you are welcome to try it, I cant believe the difference.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM
MINI2 Senior

Luxembourg Male
Thanks for the detailed info. Very highly appreciated. I watched the video, I'm pretty sure I can do that myself. However, I followed the link to the Youtube poster's website and it looks as though he had some problems with his Mini after installing the racechip. Seems he damaged the FAP filter and he claims his turbocharger failed as well, but he can't prove it was the result of the chip install.

Must say I'm a bit nervous now...

Do you find improved power and torque? Any different engine noise or anything with the chip installed? How many km's have you had it for now?

Thanks a lot for the info, really.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 09:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi well it was a different make and he didnt seem to know how to set up. My one is one screw and has improved power. The mpg went up today on a bit of a run. As regards with the FAP filter the main problem with them is lack of not getting them hot enough to burn the rubbish off but you will probably drive harder as it is addictive. As for the turbo, my lst car before my TVR was a 140bhp Audi bought from a main dealer and turbo and egr valve had to be replaced, fsh. So I dont think the 2 were linked. The weak points with diesel tuning are clutches and gearboxes but I dont think its an issue with aprox 30bhp extra. But if you dont wring its neck all the time but want more power then I would go for it. I will update the mpg in week as its normally only 43mpg and today driving sensibly went up to 55.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 04:49 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Honest update. After trying tuning box for a while I have noticed puffs of black smoke sometimes which should not happen on a car with a particulate filter on it. Also the power comes in wham all at a certain time and I think with a remap it would be more progressive through a wider rev band. I found some more info on these boxes that states the box can only increase power through turning the fuel pressure up which can cause a build up of carbon in the turbo and clog them up. I wanted to try one for my own peace of mind as tuning companies earn a lot out of tuning and these boxes vary in price. Some are crude resistors which make the car believe engine is still cold dumping more fuel in but what puzzles me is why my mpg went up by 5mpg and I probably was driving harder as well. So now will try a remap and update that test as well. Hope this helps.

Last edited by andy1acars; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM
MINI2 Senior

Luxembourg Male
Thanks for the update.

Not sure I want carbon buildup on my turbocharger. I already had it replaced under warranty once and I saw the cost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement