MINI Cooper Forum banner

2008 1.6 CooperD - advice?

11K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  rvt50 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am looking at buying my second car soon. This is mostly for my small business, with some personal use. It's an A-to-B so needs to be reliable etc. I currently drive a Polo which although is towards the end of it's life has been trouble free and very good.

I have never owned a mini, know very little about them. Realistically a CooperD around 2008 is what I can afford. To say around £6K. Many are high miles. I see some at 60-70k, which I'd be okay with I think. I've read reviews and they seem like good cars, well made, reliable etc. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should look for or be aware of with this model and age? And a random q. Was stop start introduced after 2008?

The other option is a 2010 Fabia with the similar engine. I guess I "trust" the idea of the Fabia more as it's basically the Poloi drive. But would probably prefer the drive/comfort/handling of the mini. It seems a little more refined, but maybe I wrong...

Thoughts very welcome and appreciated!

#2 ·
I have. 2010 Dooper Convertible and I love it, it wasn't cheap to buy but it is cheap to run with £20 a year car tax and I get about 60 - 64 mpg on my usual 25 mile commute, A roads doing 50 then a quick 3 mile blast on the dual carriageway.

I drive down to London on a regular basis and Once I am on the M11 I stick the cruise control on at 70mph and I manage about 60mpg.

I did have a Corsa SXI diesel which I passed on to my daughter and I loved that car too, still do when I drive it but the MINI is just something else. Have a test drive and you will be hooked.

Not sure about the start stop on a 2008 model though.

#3 ·
Thank you sir!

I actually hadn't thought about anything like a Corsa or Fiesta. I guess back when I bought my last car I ruled them out for safety and reliability issues (a long while ago).

Nothing to look for in particular then?

I would obviously look for the basics, that it has full service history, and that it appears to have been looked after etc. No faults etc. No issues with turbos, gearboxes etc? I've read the parkers review and nothing is really noted in this area, but I thought you guys at mini2.com might have more info :eek:)

I could probably spend a touch more. But 2008 seems realistic.

Do you have any feedback re: cost of servicing / maintenance in the UK? I will be assuming the one I buy won't have any TLC package still built in.

#5 ·
Some relatively minor things come to mind.

1. Check where the air intake piping joins the turbo inlet for an orange rubber seal. They tend to crack/split over time and can now be replaced with an uprated part called a swirl generator. The plastic is more robust an much less prone to cracking/splitting. Split seals can cause driveability issues.

2. Ask them to have the EGR cleaned. Pretty simple to do, sits down the back of the engine and relatively easy to remove and clean.

3. Check when the diesel additive (eolys fluid) was refilled, if ever. Usually needs refilling around 130,000km.

4. Check for any evidence of black soot near the turbocharger oil feed line. This usually occurs due to a loose exhaust clamp under the heat shielding.

Not much else to look for, really. The 1.6 PSA engine tends to be pretty robust, is easy on fuel and not at all a problem to start in the cold (has turned over for me on the first try in -15°C weather).

I have a 2009 Clubman D (1.6L) with stop/start and am at 120k with no major issues.

Nice little motor that's easy to work on and DIY. Very reliable!

#4 ·
I can't say I have had any problems,mothers may be able to comment on that. Mine has the 5 year TLC so so far no expenses with servicing. I did need some new brake pads and the Cooper garage wanted £300 to replace front and rear, I did however get them done locally where I get my tyres and they charged £220 and that included new rear disks, I don't think that was too bad. Tyres are £90 a pop but I expected that when I got it.

#6 ·
I bought a 2009 Mini Cooper D, with pretty fantastic spec (it has pretty much every option you could get, including heated front screen etc)
I'm loving it, it's just so much more fun than the Fiesta/Polo/Skoda alternatives.
The handling makes me giggle, you have to recalibrate your brain to accept you can actually attack a corner at the speeds you can, and I used to own an Alpina BMW!
I've ditched the runflats, gone to normal tyres, which made a hude difference to noise and comfort.
I've also replaced the rubber turbo seal (dead easy and £9 off ebay)
A knocking noise from the rear suspension was fixed (dead easy repair and £12 off ebay)
No reliability issues, no build quality issues, good mpg.
The only thing I would say is that whilst the seats are comfy, it's not a 'comfy car' per se.
On runflats, the ride is a joke.
On normal tyres, it's better, but it's still very stiff and some bumps can make you cringe.
I have 17" alloys on mine though.

#12 ·
Thanks for the impressions, good to know. BTW, is there any trick for finding one with good spec? It seems to have a HUGE challenge :(. I look for "pepper pack" or "chilli pack" but they're all still so different in spec.

Good to know that rubber seal mentioned before on the turbo is easily replaced... you actually did this yourself?

I'll note the run flats. I'll try to get "normal" tyres, or just replace them. Any fears with buying one with higher miles? I was ideally looking for one with 50-65K on it, but may have to get one with a little more on the clock.

#8 ·
Orange seal can now be replaced with an uprated part from BMW, a "swirl generator". Much more robust than that piece of orange rubber. Cost is about €2 and is sold separately from the intake piping.
Try buying one though!
I tried, I couldn't find any online seller at all.
I could use my dealer, but that means driving miles across town.

#14 ·
Any tips for how to find a Dooper with the spec I'd like? Apart from scrolling through and making my eyes bleed :)

I'd prefer one with:

Part leather or full leather
Stop-start
6 speed (standard?)
Air-con (apparently not always standard!)
Less than 70K on the clock?
2008-2010

Bluetooth, heated seats, cruise control would be a nice bonus...

#23 ·
Changing from runflats to normal tyres was a revelation, for me (17 inch alloys)
Miles less noise and far less cringing over bumps.
A Mini is never going to ride like a limo, but the runflats made it feel like it had no suspension at all!
It was £500 I'd rather not have spent, but it was well worth it at the same time.
I was able to get a few quid for the good condition runflats off ebay, which helped.
I feel I now have a really good compromise of the looks of 17 inch wheels, but with a decent ride.
No offence to anyone, but I don't like the look of Minis with less than 17 inch wheels.

#24 ·
I think I will have to make a clear effort to avoid run flats when I come to search :eek:).

BTW, unless stated, how do you tell the difference? For example, here are 16" allows, doesn't specify if they're run flat or not. Can you *see* any difference?

Sorry, still can't post links due to post count :/

#26 ·
I bought a later 2007 Cooper D in November 2012. When I came to service time before Christmas I went to the main dealer to see what service was required. Turned out I could get the XL TLC which gave me a full service with micro filter and brake fluid change, and I should get 2 more services, all for £275. Pop in and check to see as definitely possible, depending on service life of the car you buy.

After nearly a year and a half ownership, I love it. I am a mini fan, old and new, but they are genuinely good, fun cars, and the Cooper Ds are really cheap to run.

#28 ·
Thanks re: tyres and yes, the TLC extension does sound excellent. Definitely something I would do.

Now, a bit of an odd question, what do you think about retrospectively fitting leather seats? Any caveats to be aware of?

It would obviously be a pure luxury addition, but those lounge leather seats do look nice...

#29 ·
Okay a new daft question...

What do you think about a newer model with more miles, vs an older model with lower miles?

For example, a 2008 with 45-50K on the clock, and all the "nice stuff" included. Or a 2010 with 75-80K on the clock, and all the "nice stuff" included.

Conundrum ;)

#31 ·
Thanks again :eek:)

Yeah, it would be an 08 model. And realistically it would only be in comparison to an 09 model. An 2010 model of good spec is just too much for me really... I'm not sure I'd gain much.

I've seen one of a nice spec with 45k on the clock. 08 model. Only 9 miles away. Might go try and take a look at it tomorrow if they pick up their phone.

#34 ·
Ah okay, noted! My only reference was another one I saw for sale which said the belt was changed at 40K...

Alas, the people won't pick up their phone. So unlikely I'll be able to see or make any judgement on the one local to me before I go away on Saturday :(

#36 ·
:)

It is a little more expensive than the others around it... I think you get what you pay for. I'm happy to pay a little more for great reliability, "funner driver", and something I like the look of.

Q: Anyway to determine a "chilli pack" if it isn't actually stated as one?

MINI Hatch Cooper 1.6 Cooper D 3dr

The seats are so ridiculous in this I think I actually like them :D

Unfortunately the one nearby was gone by the time I returned from my trip. Annoying when people don't pick up their phone / respond, the troubles of buying private I guess.

#37 ·
Could someone either confirm or deny my insanity? I feel like I may have looked at so many by now that it's all spinning into meaningless nonsense.

I see a 2007 with 40K on the clock, chilli pack, great condition, great seats, all good. In 3 years it'll be 10 years old. Is that a weird way of thinking about it?

Whereas a 2009 or 2010 is 2-3 years "younger". But may have an extra 10-15K on the clock (just gauging from my research / price range).

Is that a stupid way of looking at it? Or just always go for the lowest miles and ignore the age? Or a happy medium?

#38 ·
For the sake of only 10000-15000 miles I'd go for the newer model, 100%
Be different if there was a massive difference in mileage, but 10k-15k is nothing.
Age brings problems as much as mileage, so it's all about balance.
I wouldn't go for an old car just because it's low mileage, just as I wouldn't go for a high mileage new one.
They'll both need things done.

#39 ·
Thanks for realigning my insanity :D

That makes sense. I think I'll try and get as new as I can with less than 60K on it, seems like a nice balance.

I could have gone for a couple but the timing was poor, so just playing the waiting game now. Thankfully my car works fine, so not in the terrible "panic buy" situation, where I'd end up getting something I wasn't so keen on.

#40 ·
I asked a dealer about the EPG and the turbo seal. His reply was:

"No idea, it doesn't have a service book. Don't believe everything you read on forums. It's a great car.

It's unfortunate that you have to deal with such people when trying to buy a car. Still looking...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.