MINI Cooper Forum banner

Low quality lounge leather? Retro better?

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ihughes 
#1 ·
So I am in search of the Mini I want. I really like the lounge seats, so they are a must. However, is the quality not so good? Is this advice below good, or just a differing opinion?

I can find either to be honest, regular with lounge already fitted, or it seems quite simply to get new seats even just off ebay and have they installed. I'm not sure the price would be that different either.

What do you think?

"Save your money, get cloth. Mini leather isn't that great quality.

If you really want leather, get it custom done - no more expensive, but higher quality.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-generation-interior-ice/153250-lounge-vs-punch-leather.html

#2 ·
Can't comment specifically on Mini leather, but if it's sourced from the same place as 3-series BMW leather, then I wasn't impressed with that in my 320D (2010-2013).
Despite me knowing how to look after leather and feeding it regularly, it went all baggy on the squabs after only 36000 miles.
I hate seeing baggy leather seats.
An upholsterer could maybe fix baginess though, but it's a hassle and expense.
And if a £1500 sofa can go for 10 years without the leather going baggy, how come £1500 BMW leather goes baggy after three years??

#3 ·
I hate seeing baggy leather seats.
An upholsterer could maybe fix baginess though, but it's a hassle and expense.
And if a £1500 sofa can go for 10 years without the leather going baggy, how come £1500 BMW leather goes baggy after three years??
Its generally not the leather itself, although I doubt what MINI use is Connolly Rolls Royce stuff, except maybe in the MINI Goodwood? but the sponge or whatever is underneath supporting it and the seat suspension that starts to sag making the leather baggy.
Ive seen leather Recaros in a MINI and they still look good after much use, but at £1500 a seat you would expect so.

#5 ·
Back in the 50's 60's leather was fitted in the cheapest of cars and then in 1970 cloth became the thing to have, starting with the Hillman Avenger that was the first time I saw it, they said it got rid of the sweaty bum syndrome :aargh:
Now we're going back to it and sweaty bums again no doubt.

#6 ·
MINI Leather seats

I think The Nun is correct when they say that it is the foam/upholstery padding that leads to the sagging leather bolster particularly on the drivers seat and on the older Gen 1 cars.

I have full leather interior in my 2003 MCS Works and the drivers seat is in fairly good condition with only a little wear on the side bolster and the saggy bottom section.

I have not seen later MINI seats in similar condition and especially not the lounge leather interiors.

I imagine that an auto upholsterer could replace the foam bolster and get rid of the sag with some careful re-stretching and fastening of the seat cover.

By the way it is fairly easy to get the cracked and damaged side bolster refinished as the original smooth surface can be restored by any competent leather restorer with a perfect colour match as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.