MINI Cooper Forum banner

Self service?

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  SeanC 
#1 ·
Evening all! A new member and have not long purchased a Cooper D 1.6. Was going to attempt a service myself(although I am limited when it comes to to cars) but was just wondering what to do in total? I have a reciept from last year 11-08-15 and it says-
Cam Belt
Water pump
Coolant change
Egr cooler
Air filter
Oil Filter
Fuel filter
Pollen filter
Oil 5w 30-4 Ltrs

Was thinking obviously Oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter? Are there any videos/links/photos where I can see how all are removed/located? Also the service light is on-so how do I reset this? I guess you need some sort of instrument maybe Halfords? Any help would be greatly recieved. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
If the car was serviced last year then all you will need to do is the oil and filter. Thats great that you had the full cam belt kit done and shows that the previous owner maintained the car! To reset the service light interval you can do this via the stalk set/ info and scroll to service. With regards to oil use 5w30 fully synthetic and a genuine oem filter and you can't go wrong.

#3 ·
If the car was serviced last year then all you will need to do is the oil and filter. Thats great that you had the full cam belt kit done and shows that the previous owner maintained the car! To reset the service light interval you can do this via the stalk set/ info and scroll to service. With regards to oil use 5w50 fully synthetic and a genuine oem filter and you can't go wrong.
Thanks for that. Sorry for being a pain but stalk/set info-please point me in that direction.

#7 ·
Have fun with the service wish more people would learn to service there own car, be careful with the fuel filter being a diesel it will airlock, easiest way is to fill the filter with fresh diesel first, start car rev it up and hopefully if your lucky the small amount of air in the lines will clear before revs drop. Not sure on mini but some cars (insignia) self prime if you turn igniton on and wait before starting

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Just looking on the euro car parts site and was wondering what filters are best/recommended our have been used by others. Are oil filters such as Mann any good and Crossland for air filters? Must say i haven't heard of any of them?

#13 ·
hi guys,i'm new owner of mini clubman 1.6D automatic from 2007 and also would like to do oil and filters change.Question is do i need 5w30 or like sean c said 5w50?and how many litters exactly?one more think,car has cover 100k and not sure if belt/chain was done or not so what milage is belt due?
thank you for any help

#15 ·
Belts should be changed no later than 10 years or 150,000 miles. Mine is getting done shortly as it's sitting on 131,700 miles. The oil Capacity is approx 3.7 litres for the PSA engine. Use a genuine filter and the oil in the link I posted above and you won't go wrong ;) Oh it will also be handy buying a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter canister ;)

#17 ·
It add depends on how you define loud to be honest. Remember its a diesel so it will chatter. My 2 Hdi's aren't terribly loud and they are slightly louder than my previous 2ltr 306 and 406 Hdi's but when driving and inside the cab they are pretty quiet. I'd also advise in adding wynns diesel injector cleaner to the fuel every now and again as this does quieten it down a little. When I first got my Pepper White Clubman it was quite chattery and I gave it wynns injector cleaner on every fill up for a few weeks and it quickly quietened down and improved its performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.