LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cooper D 1.6 soot and smoke from turbo

Hi all.

Yesterday I bought my wife a second hand Mini Cooper D.

I have noticed a deposit of soot on the turbo and around the edges of the CAT heatshield. Also when revving i can see some blue smoke coming up from what looks like under the heatshield.

After doing some research, I've found plenty of forum posts about the same thing.
Some suggestions point to a loose hose clamp, others a failed turbo.

Is anyone able to clarify the likely cause, or even how i could check this myself?

My wife did mention a smell of fumes in the cabin too but I'd put fuel in earlier and there was diesel on the pump handle, so I assumed it was that which she could smell. (my sense of smell is pathetic) now I'm worried about her driving it, in case it may be exhaust gasses leaking into the cabin.

I bought a 3 month AA warrenty with the car, but I'm not sure if I should contact the garage I bought the car from, the AA or if I should request an indipendant inspection from BMW which may be able to prove pre-existance of the problem before I contact the garage.

Any advise would be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2016, 07:28 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)

United Kingdom

It sounds like the gasket on the turbo exhaust outlet going in to the cat/dpf has failed and this will need replaced. If the car is covered by warranty then this shouldn't be a problem, if not then I'd advise you to either rebuild or replace the turbo. I have rebuilt these untis and last year I totally rebuilt the turbo on my Cooper D Clubman.

The diesel leak will most likely be a split pipe or loose clamp.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2017, 04:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
It sounds like the gasket on the turbo exhaust outlet going in to the cat/dpf has failed and this will need replaced. If the car is covered by warranty then this shouldn't be a problem, if not then I'd advise you to either rebuild or replace the turbo. I have rebuilt these untis and last year I totally rebuilt the turbo on my Cooper D Clubman.

The diesel leak will most likely be a split pipe or loose clamp.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Can you explain how easy it is to rebuild a turbo and how much it would cost?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2017, 05:01 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxblaine View Post
Can you explain how easy it is to rebuild a turbo and how much it would cost?
If your confident at stripping your car down and not shy with a spanner then it's a very simple job but I must stress you will need to take a lot of parts off the car to free the turbo. You can do the entire job yourself for about 250 or pay a garage upwards of 1000!

What I would strongly advise you replacing when doing the job is:
2 banjo bolts/ copper washers
Oil return pipe (absolute must)
*Inspect the oil feed pipe and if it looks shyt then change it!

Top tip if your doing the job yourself. Mark the inner part of the heatshield with an arrow pointing which way is up! I didn't do this, built the thing back up and struggled to get the dpf back on and then realised my error so had to strip every thing back down again. I felt like a right tool!

Some pics of what to expect. Don't be put off as it's all easy stuff due to the way the car breaks down in to front end service mode!

Bumper cover and arch trims off

Bumper bar removed to allow me to pull radiator forward a few inches

Heatshield removed (you will need to disconnect the lambda sensor first)

Turbo exposed

Rad pulled forward

Turbo out! (disconnect the oil pipes first)

Even with the turbo out there's still not a lot of room to work so the dpf needs to come out! (disconnect it from the exhaust first under the car)

Then remove it!

Now you have better access to disconnect the oil return and oil feed pipe (remember new banjo bolts and washers!)

Get the turbo on the bench

And split it (note where each bolt goes, they are as tight as hell by the way so don't round the bolts!)

Once split give it a clean up. Don't throw away the cartridge just yet, you will need to take the oil return feed off it later!

Rebuilt the turbo with the new cartridge, remember to change the seal that comes with the kit and swap the remaining parts off your old cartridge on to the new one

Check the actuator too for any leaks etc. If this is buggered then you will need a new one. If ok then add it back on to the turbo.

Thats how you do the turbo buddy.

Rebuilt the car in reverse order and once built back up do an oil and filter change before you start it up. Because it was just a leaking gasket then you won't need to do any further oil/ filter changes but it's essential you do one prior to starting the car up with the new turbo. To keep the turbo nice and healthy i'd recommend an oil/ filter change every 6000 miles and if the car has stop/start then turn this complete waste of time pish off as its a turbo killer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.